• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Attempt at WC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slayer2003

Well.....after reading up and planning for a year or 2, and now finally having some money to spend on a decent setup........i still need some help heh.

I've already decided on a BlackIce Extreme rad., and type of resivoir im gonna use.....but i need some help[ choosing a pump and a waterblock.

the system is a full-tower, dragon-matrix style case, an MSI KT3Ultra2 with an amd 2000+, gig of corsair XMS 2700, blah blah blah......also, just ordered a new Antec Trueblue 480w psu.

Been looking at the Ehiem 1048 and Hydor L30 pumps, and cant decide which to get.

and for a waterblock, ive looked at the new Swiftech MCW5000, or the new DangerDen RBX or Maze4.

also, which type of clamps should i use? this is gonna be a LAN rig, so it will see alot of movement.

any help would be great on this, though the sooner the better, planning for this project needs to be done by Dec. 15th.....for a major local lan party on the 26th. right now im doing all my layouts, and ordering equipment.

TIA.

Welcome to the Forums

For the pump is you got the cash go Eheim. As for the block I'd say go for the DangerDen RBX and get the insert option. As for the rad I'd ditch the Bix and get a nice 1986 Chevette heatercore with shround and 120mm fan. FOr hose clamps get the metal work ones, for tubing get ClearFlex60

Pump - L30, it's more powerful, and it's almost same quality as Eheim. Hydor pumps would be a better pick due to the lower price and the smaller size. If you asked about the 1250 which is similar to the L30 (both are 1200 L/H) I wouldn't know what to tell you. If you think the Eheim worth the extra 15$ (talking about the 1250 ofcourse).

Waterblock - First of all drop the MCW5000, add the MCW5002 instead. If you are planning/thinking running a pelt in the future, go with the swifty, if not I would take the RBX (well that's what I did :p, also be sure to get the mounting thingy so that would fit your mobo!)

Suma.

Klownin79 said:
FOr the pump is you got the cash go Eheim.

Why? - the L30 is twice stronger, and it's a great pump.
Can you explain yourself?

As for the rad I'd ditch the Bix and get a nice 1986 Chevette heatercore with shround and 120mm fan

I agree, altough I would go with push/pull (2x120)

Suma

Eheim has been around longer and has a very good name in the watercooling field. If it was me I'd get the Eheim 1250 over the L30 or the Eheim1048 for the matter.

Last edited:
Klownin79 said:
Eheim has been around longer and has a very good name in the watercooling field. If it was me I'd get the Eheim 1250 over the L30 or the Eheim1046 for the matter.

He is talking about the 1048, not the 1046 or the 1250.
I agree with the reputation Eheim have, no one can compete with that, I use the 1048 as well, also I do use a Hydor clone, which had to be moded, but was exteremly cheap ($12) and I love it.
It's small, silent and gives nice flow.

Also, lately we hear many good things about the L30s.

Suma.

Last edited:
I agree with the push/pull thats how mine is done and kinda loving it. Altho in my rig the diff in temps between push and push/pull was 1C. The heart of my cooling is a Eheim 1250 been using it for over a year now with no probs.

Same thing about my 1048.
also I'm not worried about pump faliure, I set the bios to shutdown when the temp is over 60c.
It works great.

Suma.

Think of an air tunnel.
just like that:

Fan #1 -> Shroud #1 -> Heatercore -> Shroud #2 -> Fan #2 -> Case
(* -> stands for air direction)

Is that helping?

Suma.

oh wow.....k, the i guess my idea wast that original heh.

also, whats the size difference on that chevette cooler, compared to the black ice? and chevette, as in hop on down to local pick-n-pull n grab one?

i dont have the link or name with me atm, im at work :p. when i get home, ill post it. but its one of those dual cd drive bays.....got some small electronics going there, so i figgered why not put a res. heh.

Don't go with the reservior man. Go with a T-Line so it's one less thing to worry about leaking.

This question is for Klownin79 and Suma. How do you guys attach two shrouds to the heater core? The dang thing doesn't have any holes for screws. Please don't answer me with zipties. I hate using it. What's the width the two shrouds, two fans, and a heater core combination? Thanks.

Everything is attached via threaded rods 6/32 to be exact, you can get em at Home Depot, then come in yard lengths, all you need to do is cut em down to the required size. The rods are pushed through the fins carefully sliding in one slot and widening it at the same time, then use any type of nut to fasten it on both ends.

Back