• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

drive letters change on me to prevent me from booting winxp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

racpuc

update FIXED: HELP!!!: drive letters change on me to prevent me from booting winxp

Basically I have two sets of raid connected to 4 hard drives that are attached to a pci raid card and 2 other drives that are used to back up data that are connected to the onboard ide channel. The other channel is used for optical drives.

Now when I installed the os I made one of the raid set contain the os, but the system detected this raid as hard drive 2.

hard drive 0 hd attached to the onboard channel
hard drive 1 hd attached to the onboard channel
hard drive 2 raid set on the pci card
hard drive 3 raid set on the pci card

so therefore it also wanted me to format hard drive 0 which will contain boot info.

So hd 3 is C:
hd 4 is D:
hd 0 is E:
hd 1 is F:

I loaded the os fine on C and was working with if for a few days. I wanted to OC more so I rebooted the system and change the voltage. Some how when I did this my drive letters change:

hd 0:C
hd 1: D
hd 2:E <---contains os
hd 3:F

So now it doesnt detect my os because the boot.ini thinks that my os is at C which it isnt now.

my question is how do I change my drive letters?

Last edited:
get a system boot disk, boot to windows. go into disk management and change the drive letters there.

and btw, boot.ini doesnt care about drive letters, only partitions and drives themselves.

well I was about to try a boot disk then I was thinking that I really didnt do anything wrong or change anything so the drives should be working. I was going to install windows on the E drive which was oringally the C drive. When I did it ran some drive checks and it rebooted. The darn thing fixed it self. Its back to normal now

Back