• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My setup as good as some of the kits?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buhammot

Ok, i have been browsing around for a possible watercooling setup. After hours (not all at once) of lookin into both kits and pre-fab parts, it seems that my SK-7 and Smart Fan 2 setup is about as good as the best KITs out there...

So i do also understand that it is always best to build your own from prefab parts. But heres the kicker, what is the NORM for liquid that is being used? and where might some of these different parts be purchased at?

Buhammot said:
Ok, i have been browsing around for a possible watercooling setup. After hours (not all at once) of lookin into both kits and pre-fab parts, it seems that my SK-7 and Smart Fan 2 setup is about as good as the best KITs out there...

So i do also understand that it is always best to build your own from prefab parts. But heres the kicker, what is the NORM for liquid that is being used? and where might some of these different parts be purchased at?

Ok a very general question but let me give you an overview...
Average WC setup will perform about the same as good Air setup. In that case the only advantage that WC has is less noise.
This is why we choose our own parts inorder to optimize performance.

As for the coolant usage, 25% corrosion-inhibiting antifreeze with 75% distilled water, purified water is the NORM for coolant solution.

Parts can be purhcased at

www.directron.com
www.cooltechnica.com
www.d-tekcustoms.com
www.svc.com
www.mcmaster.com - plumbing needs

those five sites are where I got my cooling things includeing fans, and what not

lets not forget e-bay hehe

Buhammot said:

Where are you getting info that shows a sk7 w/ sf2 is good as the best kits? From personal experience a sk7 w/ sf2 full speed can't come close to watercooling, and I do not have high end components. Not only did it drop temps over 10c, the sk7 could never come remotely close to my current clockspeed and vcore without activating autoshutdown of 65c within seconds of stress testing.

Biznatch said:
Lets see your Fan keep my CPU running 1.86 volts at 32c full load :p

Hmmm, define "full load".

Grab CPUBurn from here: http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/cpuburn4.zip

Unpack it and run the BurnK7 program for an hour (if you have an AMD system) and let us know what your CPU temps get to. Run BurnP6 if you have an Intel system.

Actually, this applies for anyone since "full load" has such an open meaning depending on what application you're running, and frankly nothing gets my CPUs even remotely as hot as BurnK7 (AMD) or BurnP6 (Intel).

N.B. I know the documentation says that BurnP6 is only designed for up to P3 CPUs, but still nothing gets my P4 CPU's as hot as BurnP6.

[Edit: If your system locks up, reboots or shuts-down when running BurnK7 or BurnP6, then it's because your overclock is not truly stable]

Last edited:
Whoa, you're right Cathar. I'm already getting 2c higher within a minute than the usual sisandra, superpi, prime95 etc... progs :eek: You just made my watercooling worse! J/K good link ;)

Soja said:
Whoa, you're right Cathar. I'm getting 2c higher than the usual sisandra, superpi, prime95 etc... progs :eek: You just made my watercooling worse! J/K good link ;)

Wait for it. Run it for at least 30 minutes and preferably an hour. You'll be shocked at how high it will climb 'cos the water will take a while to warm up too. Whenever I report my CPU temps, I'm always using BurnK7/P6 as the basis on which I define "full load".

LOL, this is depressing. I'm up 4c after following these directions:

I heartily recommend using Mikael Olsson's `runprio` program (available
at SimTel) to run burn* at HIGH priority. This reduces system performance
to crawl, but gives ~5'C hotter CPU temperatures because burn* gets
96% of all CPU cycles rather than 72% at normal priority.

It truly brought my system to a crawl, I thought my rig froze and it exploited my system as unstable :eek:

Hmmm, just tried the runprio thing myself and it got no hotter. I always run Burn* with no other applications open, so Burn* always gets all the CPU anyway as there's nothing competing with it.

Back