• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Define "Water Chiller"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onlypro

I have read a few threads about water chillers. After vewing the threads I ask myself. What the **** did I just read!?

So, I want to know:

What makes it different from just a regular water cooling setup?
Who benifits the most form this type of setup?

TIA

Water chiller is an apparatus used in research or industry that keeps water at a certain user selected temperature.
They usually employ refrigeration curcuits or TECs to control the temperature.
With water chiller one can easily achieve below ambient temperatures and keep them at a desired level.

Theres a few different kind of chillers, peltier chillers(tec) or refrigeration, like stated above, most of the time when people go with chillers they give it all they can and get them as cold as possible.

There are the pros and cons,
some of them:
Pros:
Temps
Overclocks
Cool factor
Cons:
Condensation
hardware is at a larger risk
tons more energy is used

Jon

JFettig said:

There are the pros and cons,
some of them:
Pros:
Temps
Overclocks
Cool factor
Cons:
Condensation
hardware is at a larger risk
tons more energy is used

Jon

You forgot the biggest Con

COST!!!

:D

Not for the base models.
The upper ones i like do start at like 4 grand, but require an industrial power outlet.

Device (commercial or DIY) that is used to lower the temperture of a liquid called water, composed of H2O. Water chillers are naturally occuring also, I the weather is cold enough it drops the water temperature, which is the "chill effect".

I've heard there is another type of chiller where someone goes out into their back yard and digs a huge hole then drops a very large tank in the hole...............

I can't belive there's anyone stupid enough to actually do it though :D

At the time the back yard idea seemed good, but our condo landlord for some reason objectited to the notion of digging in the common area. Also was't sure if one could afford all the maxijets to push the water up to 10th floor.

LOL@BladeRunner!

There are phase change chillers (i.e. refrigerator-style, with a compressor) then there are TEC chillers. The latter will maintain a set temp fairly accurately, while the former lets it float within a few degrees.

I've got a ThermoTek unit, which is made up of 8 * TEC running 50W each, and it can maintain a water temp to +/- 0.1 deg C.

Here's a pic of the bad*ss heatsink sandwich, to which two 4" fans are attached:
cochra-R1-22.jpg

why would you want to go with a watercool rather than phase change, it would seem like you could get cooler with pahse change, your going to have a hard time keeping water at -98c (homemade system, not prommy) yet at 4 grand they are much more expensive, is there some water cooler that costs in between how much it is for a good palin water system and and phase change system

BladeRunner said:
I've heard there is another type of chiller where someone goes out into their back yard and digs a huge hole then drops a very large tank in the hole...............

I can't belive there's anyone stupid enough to actually do it though :D

hahah i dont think alot of people know about your system well to take that as a joke haha

Napoleon, in order for your waterchiller to work, you need to use two loops? 2 pumps, 2 rads etc...

Thats setup you have. Does it run?

Loop 1 -Pump, cpu, heater-core, chiller, Pump

Loop 2 -Pump, heater-core

also

Do TEC chillers consume more watts on average then units using refrigeration units like the prom. ?

No heatercore on the cold side, that would just raise the temp's on the cooling loop.

But yes two pumps,three TEC's, and a power hungry power supply to feed the TEC's.

So what is that setup good for temp wise?

that is my friends setup, on his site it it shows this :
1.33 AXIA TBird @ 1700 with 2.15v
Maze 2.1 waterblock on the cpu
Evaporative tower cooling the hot side with a Danner Mag7 pump, RIO-180 pump on the coldside

RESULTS:
Ambient 38c
Idle 10c
Load 29c
Water Coldside 3c
Water Hotside 45c

thats 9 below ambient at load, so thats good enough for me, after i finish my water i will make some of these , it looks to be pretty sweet

also it is 2 separate loops, where the cold side is just Chiller cold side -- pump -- cpu

Back