• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAD for designing a block????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K1ll1nT1m3

I finally found a friend to help machine a block. I just need to draw up the blue print. Does anyone have some ideas? Maybe a good CAD program to help some? Thanks

for most waterblocks, all you'll need is a good 2D representation. I usually use AutoCAD because I'm very quick and efficient with it.

If you don't have a CAD program, all you really need is a ruler and some paper, it's not that difficult.

If you need help, just let us know.

I've always just submitted MS-Paint drawing to the machinists.

They've told me on a number of occasions that what I present is often better than what they typically get and quite adequately clear enough for them to work from.

Unless you're doing more than basic 3-axis milling a 2D representation is good enough for most anything.

Nice to know you use Ms Paint Cathar, as I though I was alone in having a paint "fetish" :p

I find it quite usefull for basic sketches and drawings, below is a plan for the 9700 rear ram block i submitted to a local machine shop a while back, done in paint and was all they required.

ati_radeon_rram_waterblock.GIF

Last edited:
Wow Blade, thats a pretty good paint job (no pun intended =) Anyway, I think that if you know CAD then go ahead in do it in there coz its more accurate then eyeballing in paint. But, if you got paint skillz then all the best to ya. Thats probably the best "CAD type" drawing ive seen in paint. Anyways, I'll see if i can get to dimensioning a block that I put up here a while ago. If i get around to it, then ill put it up...otherwise if you cant wait then just PM me and Ill send you the CAD file.

Cheers BladeRunner.

Yep, what you've done looks much like what I submit. I get right down into the large blow-up mode and edit various bits pixel by pixel if I need to. Works well. I typically draw everything up in 1 pixel = 0.1mm scale, and 1 pixel = 0.01mm scale for finer details.

What's also nice is that you can print to scale on an inkjet printer to get an idea of real size, or scale things up on a print-out. Basically it's all one needs IMO.

I also make use of colors to indicate depths. i.e. color red has a depth of xxx, color orange a depth of yyy. When presented as a 2D image, the use of colors makes it fairly clear what's going on even when there are different depth cuts in the drawing.

I just don't see the need for fancy CAD programs and renders. Sure, it looks nice, but waterblocks, even the fairly difficult ones to make, are still quite basic items in terms of geometrical complexity.

Sorry for any misunderstanding, Im not saying that the paint method is inferior, believe me, use whatever works best for you. But you gotta admit that a good cad user can draw up something like BladeRunner did in about 2-3mins given all the right dimensions.

I totally agree, paint may not the best or fastest way but it is a good way to use what we have at hand and make the best we can of it. Personally I'd have to have and learn how to use a cad program first, something I intend to do, but it seems more of a chore to me, they always seem overly complex to learn & use, I even get frustrated with Photoshop at times because I can't get it to do what I want!! :D .... I guess I just prefer making things, and "paperwork" has never been my strong point.

The pixel scaling and colours are good ideas I hadn't considered, and make sense. my sketching wasn't to scale as such but was just to show the measurement details in mm. The large size view option in paint really helps with the details, and the cutting / copying / rotating /pasting helps on reproducing the same curves and sections in a design.

Last edited:
Hehe, trust me, CAD is not as complex as people perceive it. If you know your angles around a 360 degree axis, then you're pretty much set. You just gotta learn what commands to put in when telling the program what you want on the screen. Anyway, if you ever need help with CAD, feel free to ask.

My favorite cad program is Autocad, pretty spendy program. Theres also Intellicad wich seems to be a rip off of Autocad, but has a free 2d program and pretty useful. Solidworks is also pretty dang good. Pro/Desktop is another like solidworks, I think its free, but I hate it:p I have to use it in school, it drives me up walls.

Jon

Last edited:
I personally have autocad and have tried solidworks. There are certain features found in both that I find pretty useful and eyecatching. If only they made a hybrid of the two, that would be cool. Ease of AutoCAD with the look and some other functions in SolidWorks. Anyone know of a program like that?

Sure just import your cad files to solid works ;)

Auto cad is easy for 2D building but solid works is much faster when doing 3D.
PS The all in one you seek is called Master CAM (it can do the G-code too so you can go straight to CNC

It dose somethings like AutoCAD but others are (from an AutoCAD perspective) all screwed up. The key is knowing the planes and using them right. ;)

I've used turbocad and autocad, of the two I really prefer autocad because you can type in the commands all in one place, you don't have to go back and forth between dialog boxes and such to do something. I haven't personally used it, but MasterCAM will do tool paths and such, which is handy when you're making a complicated block.

Solidworks or Autocad are good and used by pro's what shows that they're worth using.

Otherthing is that for single / simple things, you can give MS Paint/Gimp drawing or just drow whole thing on milimeter paper.

Thanks for all the input. Ill check into autocad tonight. Im glad to hear everyone likes it.

Anyone have some newbie tips for autocad? I have just been using Photoshop till now.

Last edited:
Back