• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my watercooled temps just dont seem right...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliteoneXP

I have a WW block, black ice xtreme rad, hydor L30 pump and for some reason my idle temps are sitting around 38C with my P4 [email protected]...i got this same freakin temp with my air cooling give or take a degree. Does this temp sound right?

I got a big drop by lapping the P4 IHS. Its really not that flat. More concave, I thought.

Kind of risky. Just a thought.

Edit: have you tried reseating the block?

here is my loop....tell me if i screwed up. I went pump - res - rad - block. Was it wrong to go from the pump to the res?

I wouldn't but the res right after the pump.

You would be better off going

pump - rad - cpu block - res
or
pump - cpu block - rad - res.

Personaly i use the first option in all my H2O setups.

Load temps are about 41-42ish which is pretty much the same as before. Also, I have a 120mm fan blowing onto my rad which is next to my 2 case fans in the front...should i reverse the fan and have is sucking air from the rad instead?

How is the 120mm placed next to the 2 case fans? You could kind of do a push/pull config where the 120mm pulls the air supplied by the case fans through the BIX. Do you have a temp probe to measure water temps?

its a x-superalien case so its pretty much the same layout as the thermaltake Xaser 3. There is the 2 front fans then the hard drives bays then my rad. No I dont have any kind of temp probe to measure water temps.

So I'm assuming it has the 2 80mm intakes in front, so where is the 120mm placed?

the 120mm is placed behind the rad meaning farthest away from the intakes. I just flipped it and i have it sucking air from the rad but it seems to keep the same temps. I'm gonna redo my whole thing going from the pump to the rad instead of pump to res.

Do you have one of those Dtek WW's with a bad base? If so, lap it nice and flat. I'd remount the block either way though.

nah the block came with a near perfect base actually...i was pretty surprized. I guess ill just redo this whole thing and hope for the best. I feel like i wasted my money and my time with this thing but hopefully that changes after i do it again.

What's your ambient air temperature? For all we know you live on the Sun and your temps are amazingly good!

Since you have a P4, idle temps should be reasonably similar with air or water since the cpu is basically not doing anything. What was your load temp with air-cooling?

EliteoneXP, aside from all the installation variables that your temps might be attributed to, you're not by any chance going on Abit's hardware doctor for temp readouts are you? I've got an IMAX 3 also you probably already know the reputation of our board reading ridiculously inaccurate temps right?.

I'm actually surprised you get the temps you reported on air (idle:38, load:42), that's amazing to me... :) You might want to try a temp probe not with the intention of getting dead accurate readouts but at least you would be able to distinguish a more realistic difference between your air setup and your new watercooling kit. Your temps aren't great, but they're not that bad either. It might just be some minor adjustments that you have to make whether it be remounting your block or rad/fan placement as others have pointed out. Play around with it, you'll see how minor changes can have a noticeable impact. If you can, post a picture or your setup so others can get a better idea on what your problem may be (if there is one at all). Anyhow, good luck....

But definately try placing the rad before your block and try your fan pulling instead of pushing.

Last edited:
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Got a picture of your radiator/fan setup? Is there a shroud on the radiator leading to the 120mm fan? Or is the fan just sitting near the radiator?

Yes, as DTek have noted, they've solved the base-lapping issues with the White Waters. What is coming from them now is much more like what the White Water is capable of, rather than being hindered by the base-issues of past which has caused some performance issues.

Back