• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best DIY waterblock design

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shin Akuma

Disabled
Hey guys suppose I've got only a basic drill press what's the best DIY waterblock design?

Pictures and specifications would be appreciated.

Gonna be building my next-gen external watercooling soon featuring a massive car aircon condenser!!! with 4 120mm fans... and 3 pumps in SERIAL! :D All in a wedge-shaped acylic enclosure...

I've got most everything figured out except for the waterblock... can't wait to get it done :eek:

Cheers

A #Rotor block is a fairly simple design that works very well. There's a lot of info over at procooling forums in the WB construction section.

I second that.

A #Rotor block is the best combination of simplicity and performance that I know of for DIY.

Dido.

I would point you towards a Cascade style build, but that one's really tricky to get it right. The Rotor# is "idiot proof".

OK been reading on this #rotor style blocks...

but...

How do I cut out the metal between the holes??? As I've said I've only got a basic drill press... If I don't cut out the metal between the walls no water will pass through....

Shin Akuma said:
How do I cut out the metal between the holes???

Typically, people use a dremel tool (or die grinder) with a cut-off wheel.

Another way might be to space the holes a little closer together so the drill bit wouldn't leave the thin wall between the holes. There has to be a good reason why this isn't done. Maybe it would cause the drill bit to bind in the copper somehow? Anyone know why it wouldn't work????

Last edited:
gungeek said:
Another way might be to space the holes a little closer together so the drill bit wouldn't leave the thin wall between the holes. There has to be a good reason why this isn't done. Maybe it would cause the drill bit to bind in the copper somehow? Anyone know why it wouldn't work????

I believe #Rotor has done this, and he didn't think the copper to water ratio was very good, but considereing the performance of the Swiftech MCW-5002, I think pretty good performance could be achieved that way.

Best to ask #Rotor about it though.

Guys I think we've got a small problem...

I don't have a dremel tool! I've only got a drill press, hand drill, angle grinders, that sort of stuff...

Thanks for the tip gungeek I'll just try to space them closer ...

gungeek said:

Per #Rotor, this is why it isn't normally done:

Indeed there is a very good reason. a Normal drill-bit is not very rigid, it bends rather easy. If the holes are spaced such that they cut into one-another, the bit tends to wander out into the existing hole, usually ending up in a snapped bit.

the secret is to get the holes spaced just right, so that there is a micro-thin , almost tin-foil like wall still between each hole.

this has a number of advantages.

1: the pins being shaped will have near perfect concave-square shapes with very sharp corners,
2: it makes cutting these thin walls much easier.
3: your copper to liquid ratio is perfect.

If a proper mill with the right size milling bit is to be used, then having the hole overlap, would indeed be the optimal thing to do, because milling bits are designed to be able to take lateral force much better.

Does anyone know what THIS means? is he going to update his webby or something. I am thing about doing the H2O chiller, thing, with a cheap setup on my old computer.

gungeek said:

Per #Rotor, this is why it isn't normally done:

Indeed there is a very good reason. a Normal drill-bit is not very rigid, it bends rather easy. If the holes are spaced such that they cut into one-another, the bit tends to wander out into the existing hole, usually ending up in a snapped bit.
A center drill would work real well for this operation ;)

9mmCensor said:
Does anyone know what THIS means? is he going to update his webby or something. I am thing about doing the H2O chiller, thing, with a cheap setup on my old computer.

Not a clue, sorry.

Back