• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hose clamps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
when i first got clamps they were the plastic, pinch together ones... during leak testing, it was so leaky, i stopped the pump and went out to buy the metal ones...

overtightening could definately be a prob... those metal clamps have the little rectangle cutouts for the worm drive thinggy to catch... i tightened one of my clamps so tight the first time, my tygon was bulging out of those holes... tygon is tough, but anything will split ;)

gl

Sneakytermite said:
Put some tape around the hose before you put the metal clamps on. It should help somewhat.

damn... great idea! i'll be doing that next time...

If you're concerned about cutting into the tube with the clamp, use clamps that aren't fully slotted. They aren't quite as strong as a fully slotted clamp, but they'll suit your application just fine. I recall bmw had some good ones for fuel lines at their dealership...

Mark

Most important things I recently learned about steel hose clamps and zip ties:

- zip ties are a pain in problematic areas where you have water or air leaks, because you cannot tighten them well enough. They are usable if you have not mounted the system yet and/or can reach eveything easily. You'll need to be able to hold the tube and pull the zip tie with some force.

- steel clamps need to be of the right size. If not, it will not close the tubing properly. I found that 15mm clamps work excellent on 1/2" ID tubing (5/8" OD). 22mm clamps are fine for this tubing on barbs bigger than 1/2" ID, like the 15mm bends I use. 22mm on 1/2" ID barbs + 5/8" OD tubing is not recommended. ;)

Back