• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No comments yet on Owen's new block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pHaestus

For shame! Glad to see family life hasn't kept the shade tree machinist out of the garage; maybe there's hope for me too.

I like the inlet design; seems like to me a much better approach than a sharp contraction like the Whitewater uses. Should be much less pressure drop for the same final water velocity.

Any thoughts on whether a dimpled base (a la Swiftech MCW462) might improve performance some?

I also quite like the inlet... though I would prefer to see a short rounded trench under the inlet jet (a la Cascade style) rather than dimples. Though, I suppose with his setup, dimples would be easier to produce. Also, this looks like a prime candidate for a single outlet block, since there are no channels as in the White Water.

Yea probably a fair amount of baseplate thickness optimization could be done too.

the Owenator's record is quite good, 'nother addition
like anything could/can/will be improved (upon)
progress, eh ?

consistent also the abuse of tools, lol
somehow I don't think Owen knows of the word finesse

Oh yea didn't mean to have a critical tone Bill. Just saying that this block has me thinking. A good thing.

I always admire a guy who can 'brute force' his way through a project, limited tools and all. The gasket was funny, got a good chuckle out of that.

I liked it.

Strangely, the intrusion of the inlet tube into the block, actually gives the coolant a better exit. That's the part that's missing in the first design.

I would have liked to see a bit more finesse applied to the inlet tube, because different openings may yield different results. Not that it's interchangeable or anything...

Adding *anything* to the baseplate will improve performance.

Excellent work: every blockmaker should do this at least once.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the kind words about my water block!

I guess I do come from the 'BFH' maintenance dept. (BillA introduced me to this technical term). :)

pHaestus, I've got three now so I have to get out in the 'shop' and make/beat on things or else I'd go crazy! I think you'll know what I mean some day! :)

Anyway, I started another thread asking for suggestions on improvments. Take a look and don't worry I won't be shy about changes. I've been know to de-solder waterblocks or drill more holes to make improvements.

All, Don't worry about the 'tone' of comments I have a thick skin. I've been taken to task by some of the best.

O

PS Finesse - isn't that a hair care product? LOL ;)

BillA said:
Owen
you going to send it to JoeC to be tested with his new setup ?

be cool

Good question! I'll have to settle on a final design, but then I could. I do have a few spare waterblocks to use in the meantime. :)

O

Back