• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Driver Problem with New Install of XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
Hey all- I'm having a bit of a problem with my fresh install of Win XP Pro. I just got it running today, however I am having problems with my mouse and sound card. When Windows loads, I have to unplug my mouse and then plug it back in again for it to work. Likewise, the drivers for my TB Santa Cruz card don't want to load properly, I get an error message on load up, so I have no sound. I know it's a driver problem, but does anyone know of a way to fix it? Can I do it without nuking my fresh install? TIA

Have you tried a different driver for the sound card? Maybe a simple driver upgrade will do the trick. About the mouse, thats really wierd. Try a different mouse and see if the same thing happens. Is it USB? Good luck!

Matt

Yeah, the mouse is USB, but the really odd thing about it is that it runs through a KVM which uses PS2. It won't work at all through the KVM, and it only works if I unplug it after rebooting. I have few other mice around here I can try to see if that helps.

jazztrumpet216 said:
Yeah, the mouse is USB, but the really odd thing about it is that it runs through a KVM which uses PS2. It won't work at all through the KVM, and it only works if I unplug it after rebooting. I have few other mice around here I can try to see if that helps.

Yea, try other mice. It might give you some insight into whats going wrong. Good luck!

Matt

I used a Kensington Optical mouse that I had around here, and it works just fine through the KVM. Now off to find some new drivers for the Santa Cruz...

EDIT: Thanks for the help mdcomp. Everything's working fine now.

Last edited:
jazztrumpet216 said:
I used a Kensington Optical mouse that I had around here, and it works just fine through the KVM. Now off to find some new drivers for the Santa Cruz...

EDIT: Thanks for the help mdcomp. Everything's working fine now.

You are very welcome. Glad I could help out. See you around.

Matt

Back