• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My WC is done - Hooooly cow the temps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timmybighands

Hey guys. I just finished my watercooling setup. I bought DodgeVipers case with the Chevette heatercore mounted sideways. I did my own mods to it... painted black, and added my own personalized window. But ohhhh my goodness, the difference I have is amazing!

I'm running Chevette Heatercore, Swiftech CPU, Swiftech GPU, and a ViaAqua 1300. The ViaAqua is kinda noisy, but you cant hear it over the 120's.

I know - you want temps. My air cooled temps were 42C Idle, 53C load. That was on the stock Intel HS/fan setup. With the WC setup above, I have 35.5C idle, and 38.5 load. HOLY COW! Thats well enough for me :)

If I run the fans at 5v instead of 12v I end up with 37C Idle, 39.5 Load.

I'm one happy camper.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
timmy just making sure that is core temps right? i was upset when i learned that most people posted "cpu" temp and not core when boasting about their temps, especially considering that the cpu temp has an algorythm applied to it so it isnt anywhere near accurate. i got about a 15C drop on my core temps from a volcano9+, however the OC i am at now was not even attainable with the volcano, muy caliente!

Hmmm. So how would I detect the actual CORE temp? I'm getting my information from BIOS, Motherboard monitor, and Abit's Hardware Doctor. They are all within .5 of each other.

Pics up

if it is reading from the core sensor then it is all good. Does your board have a thermal diode in the socket? the mobo will take this reading, apply an algorythm that accounts for air flow around the cpu and whatnot, and determines an estimate of the core temp. this is bad anyway, but this reading with a waterblock will be completely wrong considering that there is no air flow around the cpu socket because there is no fan/heatsink. however, ur temps sound like they are prob coming from the core. for instance, i have the same waterblock, but my rig is the whole swiftech KIT that comes with the crappy heater core. mine is also much hotter b/c it is an AMD processor, with my 500mhz OC on air was over 63C, now is around 50C. these numbers sound high but that is because its amd.

Nice rig.
Imho running 12V instead of 5v isn't worth that 1*C.

I also suggest to test rig using CPU burn 4 . It will give temperatures far higher than you can get even on very extreme conditions. It's not very useful to post results, but good to test OCing cpapabilities and cooling efficiency.

Thanks guys. I have much more work to do... when I'm all done I will post as many pics as possible. I'm on hold now becuase I'm just so excited to have it running that I dont want to take it down again to work some more.

Sure, I'll get some pics of the heatercore and it's attachment today sometime. Basically, the fan is attached to the shrouds on each side, and the fans are mounted to the motherboard tray.

Pics will help explain better and will be up a little later tonight.

The water is dyed blue using Blue UV reactive water dye from Xoxide.com. Looks good at night, but I think I need more UV lighting to make it stand out better.

Glad to see you have my old system up and running. I was looking around in water cooling forums and did not see any of the old guys around. Was about ready to close the window and saw your post. For those that want to see up close photos of how the core and case were built take a look at this old thread. CLICK

Thanks DV. It's an EXCELLENT setup he's put together here. I havent gotten around to take pics of the heatercore yet... sorry about that.

Case has come a ways, eh DV?

Back