• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shroud eliminiation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't see how 2 fans in a push/pull config can eliminate a deadspot like a shroud.

Quick sketch:

shroud.jpg

Last edited:
if you stagger the fans though, they can eliminate the dead spot. It partially depends on the rad.

Listen to soja though, I have no practical experience....

The main purpose of a shroud is to utlize the entire radiator. Most of the time the radiators are 160mm^2 and the fans people are using are 120mm^2.

Do out the math and that leaves 11200mm of surface area that is not being activtly cooled.

well.... there will still be dead spot even you use a shroud and even in push and pull configuration...

just check out the pic... i have not clean my heatore core for a yr... and check out the dust pattern....

font view
dscn0402.jpg

rear view
dscn0403.jpg

open view
dscn0405.jpg

the spot with no dust could be caused by the vortex created by the fan pushing in. physics makes the air want to go to the outside, like a centerfuge. it makes me wonder if having a "push" fan really does anything signifigant, or if it's just for looks

i am nude said:
it makes me wonder if having a "push" fan really does anything signifigant, or if it's just for looks

When I added a push fan it did not help temps any. This was using panaflo M1A's at full speed. However at 7v the 2nd fan does make a big difference. They're are weak at 7v but very quiet :p

The push pull configuration does little for performance. The reason being two fans can more easily overcome the wind resistance of the core. Less resistance means slightly better performance. In most cases you can expect 0-2c temp difference. Instead of using two 120s I like to stick with a single 172mm for quite a bit more airflow. Even running in silent mode the 172mm fans can push as much air as a 120mm.

I think the main reason why the dust is not there at the center is because when the fan is used for "pushing" there still is a dead spot inspite of having a shround but it does definitely minimize the dead-spot. Also the other reason might be because of the fact that the center part of the fan blocks the dust so even if the air is going through it, the dust wont get to it.

Yes it would be helpful to have push/pull because even with a little dead-spot look at the other area that it helps with "pulling"...

Bender, can you suggest a link to a good 172mm?

EluSiOn, your heatecore needs a shave ;)

dscn0406.jpg

I gave it a hot bubble bath already

I am not so sure about the explanation...

coz that side was... cold air pull from outside the case and push to the heater core...

and the vortex theory... hmmm I will look into it...

by the way... I got my heatercore from dtek.. so is the shroud... I think that shroud is a bit small for the heatercore... take a look at the edge of the heater core....

Nah, these shrouds are a bit small for procores:

shroudedcore.jpg

You should try using a filter at the intake. Prevents having to dissemble the shrouds to clean.

Soja said:
Nah, these shrouds are a bit small for procores:

shroudedcore.jpg

You should try using a filter at the intake. Prevents having to dissemble the shrouds to clean.

lolz atleast you made your tupperware looks nice Soja... mine covers all 4 corners but it looks so ghetoo...

Soja said:

i do have filters on the intake...and i clean it once a month.... but ... dust still able to make their way in.... that is why i cleaning them up now...

Back