• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I stop Windows XP from automatically installing drivers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

I don't want Windows XP to install drivers automatically without asking for me to or not. I know I got it to somehow before, but I just reformatted a few weeks ago and I want to get that option back. The main reason is that when installing video card drivers I don't want it to install the 29.58 ones automatically when I restart.

You could try and go to:

Rclick my computer\manage\services and aplications\services and disable the upload manager (it does send driver info to MS)

Or this is a reg tweak (use at your risk)

Export the Device Path value in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
entVersion for backup purposes.
Now delete the Device Path data (all the locations entered).
XP should not be able to auto-install drivers without you manually pointing to them.

not sure if these work so let me know would you?

Disabling upload manager did work. It's not the exact same way it was before (it doesn't even detect that something's installed w/o a driver), where as now I have to actually have it scan for hardware changes, but it works ok now I guess :) Thanks for the help.

Just tried the registry modification and it worked just like it used to :) Thanks again :)

Weird thing is, I don't think I ever did any tweaks to have it do that previously... it seemed like all of a sudden it just did it. Maybe I just don't remember though.

Back