• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ogboot

I have a swiftech kit, and i hate my heatercore, should i go with a black ice pro II, or could i save some money and go with a freakin car rad or something? i'll go with a huge radiator if i dont have to do crazy mods to it and it is cheaper than what i can buy the black ice pro for

You can't expect form me other reply.
Go extreme :) I used to post it many times, I'll post again. Get car radiator and make external box or mount it instead of side of case (with some "shroud-like rest of side" not to leave holes.
Next make all fans in case blow in or blow out - this way tehre should be no need to put fans on radiator. Eventually you can use 30cm+ desk fan for extreme performance.

Keep in mind that you can't cool water below ambient in normal water rig, but you can go very close to ambient using car rad / clima rad (for hous/office clima).

Car rad doesn't have to cost a lot. I've got min from after-crash car for crazy money - around $12. Maybe it's not too easy to get such thing in this price, but <$30 it should be possible. New ones are very expensive.

hmm...ive been checkin out the chevette heatercore that everyone likes and will prob go with it, could you just get a larger radiator than that and have passive cooling (rad outside of case, no fan)? im talkin a big rad here. shame online car parts stores only let you browse by model :D

If you put car radiator (not heatercore) horizontally on some supports, to have it around 15cm+ over base, it could probably act as nice passive (but it won't be top performing then). Eventually you can always use some silent fans. Car rad will perform nice even with minimum air flow. For that you can just make a shroud for it with let's say 4-6 120mm fans running at 5v.

Normal car rads are usually sized around 45x50cm.

youve inspired me Ven0m, its not an emergency part so i have time to find what i want, im going to mod a car radiator. theres a used parts store where i could prob get a good one...hmmm...yes i need to take a look around and see what i can find, thanks! :D

Back