• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on 2 different line layouts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rocketmanx

Registered
Have built my first WC rig and I'v'e been tweeking it quite a bit since I built it. I added a second radiator a couple weeks ago and had all my blocks running in series, just changed them over to parallel along with making the one rad for the gpu/chipset and the other for cpu. After the change the temps at idle dropped considerably from 35 before to 30-32 after. The load temps though when running 2 folding @ home clients hyperthreaded on both procs hasn't changed much though. It was at 40-41 and is now 38-39 on a 2.8 P4C @ 230 mhz.
I know the way I have the rads layed out isn't helping but in my mind the new layout should have helped some since I was accumulating all the heat in one line. I am in the middle of fabricating a plenum for under the top of the case where the fans are located (3x 92mm) to draw fresh air from the sides and back of the case and keep out case air. I'm also building a similar plenum for the rads to locate them apart with seperate fans.
I like the series cause it's cleaner.

Any suggestions on the layout would appreciated.

Old-

Mycomp15.jpg

Now-

Mycomp29.jpg

is the water from the rad going straight to the GPU block? on the 2nd pic? if so i would have left it the way in the 1st picture having it go directly to the CPU first. If you have a strong enough pump the 1st way is fine.

What temps are/were getting with each setup?

No, the first pic it goes- cpu to chipset to gpu to rad to pump.
Second pic- from cpu to rad to pump and the other line goes from chipset to gpu to rad to pump. Was hoping to not transfer the cpu heat to the chipset and gpu this way. Also was hoping to gain a bit of cooling seperating the work on the rads.

Temps- First pic- 34-35 at idle, 40-41 at full load.
Second pic- 30-32 at idle and 38-39 at full load.

The fact the idle temp dropped more bothers me. I'm thinkin it's just the rad setup causing that though since the rads put out quite a bit of heat when the box has been setting running 2 F@H clients all day.
I also realized after I posted the pics that the water will gain equilibrium after the system comes up to temp and the only reason for any temp gains would be the fact that I no longer have it going from the cpu then to the chipset and then the gpu. I assume that the gpu and chipset side runs a tad cooler than the cpu.
Was hoping to gain some extra cooling with gpu/chipset going to one rad and the cpu to the other. Guess the net sum is that unles I added a second pump for either side I'm not gonna see much gain with the last setup. Saw some but not much. The dual rads dropped my temps 5 C across the board and now this dropped around 3C at idle but the load temp bothers me as I already said.

How bout having the WBs in series and having the rad in parllel. I think that might give you better result (less flow restrictve) than the second setup.

I think that's what I was looking for :D Just having brain block today. Gonna give it a try. Startin' to run out of hose ;)

Thanks

Back