• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows hangs on first logon (2k)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
Ok I have a strange problem.

When I log into windows (as admin) upon first booting up the comp just sits there, showing nothing but the desktop. And stays that way no matter how long I wait. So I then have to log off and log back on. when I log off it says explorer.exe is not respeonding. so I end task, and log back on and everything comes up immediately. Anyone know what is causing this?

-Things Ive tried

1. running /sfc in windows
2. taking extyra junk out of startup and the run parts of the reg
3. uninstalling extra software
4. running spybot and adware
5. doing virus scan using norton
6. running nortons registry cleaner (had no effect)
7. trying to do windows updates but doesnt respond, when I close ie I get an instruction error at some memory block, error reading memory. Next going to try using sp3 network install I downloaded already.
8. the network and internet on this comp seem to be extremely slow too.
9. Ive also tried manually replacing various files like winlogon.exe, which consumes about 40% CPU on the first login. and various others but with no success.

its currently got norton system works, bnorton personall firewall, norton system doctor, adaware 6 , spybot 3.1 (or whatever newest vers is), office 2k SB, seems to have quicken as well but isn't used. aand various other media players and misc stuff. My question is... What the hell?

Any clues in your event log?

Do you have more than one protocol installed, or more than one NIC? If so, your bind order may be wrong (which would account for the slowness at boot).

You might want to try another browser to do windowsupdates. Or turn on Automatic updates and do it that way.

>1 protocol installed
>1 nic installed
>1 disabled modem (tried both enabled and disabled)
>ran sp3 install off other comp, didnt fix anything

only major error in event log is the application popup ive been getting for pcanywhere cant find such and such dll, which is odd since it was uninstalled by me almost to begin with.

will try rebooting again to verify settings.....on second thought I think I know what it might be..

*edit* no that wasnt it. now there are no errors or even warnings in any event log. re-uninstalled various ie toolbars. and spyware adware etc..

Last edited:
tried, didnt help. gonna uninstall it now though.

*edit* err there is a "Deterministic Networks WAN Virtual Miniport" under network adapters.

When I try to uninstall it it says "Failed to uninstall device, it may be needed to boot your computer."

When I click details it says under Status "Your registry may be corrupt (Code 19)"

*edit2* pretty sure I figured out what it is, and I think thats whats causing the problem....except I cant remove it.. and the program it was most likely associated with is long gone as well. It was part of a vpn config I think.

Last edited:
Are you comfortable with searching your regestry under HK_current user | software and HK _local machine |software ?

Just a thought, but it might possibly be a profile problem. Try this...log on as Administrator and create a new user account. Log on with the new account and see if explorer misbehaves...if it doesn't, that may mean your original account's ntuser.dat file is corrupted. :)

hmm.. ntuser.dat is what stores everything about the profile right? so I cant just replace one with another can I? =\

pik4chu said:
hmm.. ntuser.dat is what stores everything about the profile right? so I cant just replace one with another can I? =\

That's the file that holds the per-user registry entries (the registry entries that are only available to you, and no-one else). To get a new one, it's easier to just delete your profile, and have it automatically create you a new one.

No, actually those are rescuable. What you will lose are things that would be kept in the registry: window locations, the "personalized" start menu (the hidden options you don't use), things like that.

just go to:
C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]
Everything* in that folder can be copied to the new profile, the start menu items, the favorites, etc.

edit: *except the ntuser.dat file

Last edited:
mispoke myself, I just meant things I would need to "take care of" on the new profile. Ok thanks, I'll try that stuff out.

Also didnt notice if you checked all your services?

run
services.msc

Back