• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with IE6 under XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I have a client whom is experiencing a weird problem with his PC. I installed XP pro for him about a month ago. All was fine when I finished the install. He called me a few days ago and said he was constantly getting errors while surfing the net. I went over there and sure enough every third or fourth time I opened IE it popped up with the error reporting box and said IE had generated errors and needed to be closed, and wanted to report the error to MS. The first thing I did was download SP1. After that was installed I grabbed all of the most recent updates from MS. Still no luck there, so I installed norton and scanned for viruses - that came back with a clean bill of health. I remember something similar happened to one of my machines when it had a failing memory stick, so I fired up memtest and let that run through a few rounds - no problem there either. As a last resort I reset all of the IE settings to default and made sure the cache was clear. It's still doing it and I'm really at a loss as to what it might be. I've ruled out a virus, hardware seems to be okay, grabbed all the latest updates. About the only thing left I know to try is a system restore. Aside from this problem everything else runs fine. Can anybody think of some other suggestions?

i will try to DISABLE "error report" thing to see if he still has the same problem problem.

try to run IE without other apps interfering

What do you mean by other apps interefering? He does have a pop-up killer running.

TC said:
What do you mean by other apps interefering?

does he have anything running in the background ??? I"m not talking about windows service. I mean things load at startup

try to disable those and disable pop up killer and OPEN IE to see if you have any problem

google pop up does a very good job at blocking popup too

I would suggest running Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors)...Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and click OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click the error message(s) (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Write down a couple of the error messages related to IE exactly as they appear (under the "Description" field), and post them in this thread.

Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there. :)

Back