• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 Deluxe users question..dual mem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jarablue

Registered
Hey all. All of you guys who have the P4P800DL I wanted to know if I can match both slots of ram with matched ram? Or is only the blue slot for dual channel? Can I put in another matched pair of ram into the black ram slots and dual channel as well from that? I would like to get 4 sticks of 256 and try it out. Any thoughts?

Actually, 4x512mb will give you the best performance (4x double sided ram), then 4x 256mb (4x single sided ram), then 2x 512mb (2x double sided), then 2x 256mb (2x single sided).

You would have to put them in in pairs, same or like modules in black slots, ditto for the blues. That will give you dual channel memory. You can populate 3 slots but you lose dual channel.

-Bobby

But according to the P4P800 manual the mobo doesn't like certain memory in ALL 4 SLOTS. e.g. Corsair XMS. The bottomline is check the manual about your memory.

Bobby said:
Actually, 4x512mb will give you the best performance (4x double sided ram), then 4x 256mb (4x single sided ram), then 2x 512mb (2x double sided), then 2x 256mb (2x single sided).

-Bobby

He's correct. My reference was to 1gb total memory. Using 4x? size sticks you will probably have trouble getting your timings as tight as you can w/ 2x? size.

Yeah, you'll lose some overclockablity (made that word up myself :D) with 4 sticks over 2 but the bandwidth is better. There were a few articles with comparisons a few months ago about it and they showed Sandra charts proving their claims.

-Bobby

Back