• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Ghost equivalent.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
As the title says, I need a prog that I can use, preferablly cheap, if not free.

Now, Ive never used it, so Im going to explain what I want, and if I am correct, Ghost does this, I would like to find another prog that does the same.

Ok, format, install OS, updates etc etc. Now I want to create a "restore" point here. Where if later on, when I decide its time for format again, I can just load this restore point, and bamb, Im right back where I started.
Or, same example, slightly different.
Format, install OS, update and then install my everyday/not so everyday progs. I want to have a restore point here. So, same as before, I can just initiate the restore, and it will put it at that point.

Now, I dont want to use the OS's system restore, I just have a problem with it... afterall it is M$. lol

Anyone know of a cheap prog that does this?

Apologies if posted in wrong area, or even if asked. I read through 20 plus pages into history here and found nada that covered what Im asking...

Thanks

IFMU

Bump.gif

So noone knows of anything that will help here?!

Thanks for the link, but its price tag sits at $69.95. For that I may as well go for Norton Ghost.

alt. to ghost

you might check out nero 6 suite-----get the oem from wherever you got a cd-rw or dvd writer--about 12 bucks--they have a back-up which equals ghost

Arkaine23 said:
You can make an image of your dirve using a Knoppix CD (free). But the place it saves the image to must be FAT32 or a linux filesystem as it can't write to NTFS.

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/ImageYourHardDriveUsingKnoppix

Gotta say Arkaine, that looks pretty slick, and easily within my price range!

However, I dont know linux that well... and just reading some of that site made no sense at all.

Once again, its due to I just dont understand/know so many of the linux commands....

ghost equiz

try these the first one looked good---- Advanced Search | Main | HelpWebImagesAudio/VideoShoppingNewsIn Your AreaPeople

Sites in Category Backup:
About these results
CobBackUp
Works with files and whole directories on Windows with scheduling and compression.
http://www2.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobbackup.htm
Lou Backup
Backup program for Visual C projects.
http://www.louterrailloune.com/loubackup.html
Polder Backup
Copies from Windows directories to other directories with sets, incremental, and delete non-existing.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~philippo/PolderBackup.htm
Rapid Backup
Program for Windows that copies data to a local file system like a hard drive, zip disk, or floppy.
http://www.mlin.net/RapidBackup.shtml
TaskZip
Automatically archive specified Windows files and folders into a single zip file. Comes with scheduler and wizard.
http://jupiter.drw.net/matpie/PBSystems/products/utilities/TZip.html
sorry best i could do was paste

. :eek:

I read your post and don't know quite what you're asking for. As far as formatting and installing the OS. The XP install disk does all that already and quite well, partitions to how ever many you want, formats to either FAT32 or NTFS. Restore point? When do you plan on using a Restore point during all this? If you have a HDD cloned to a second HDD using Ghost 2003, that is your Restore Point. Ghost 2003 will clone an existing HDD to a new one and automatically format and partition it to what the original HDD already was (or you can change it). If you're going to partiton and format a new HDD that does not contain an OS (2nd HDD), simply do it in XP. For what Ghost 2003 does, it's simply the best out there and well worth the money. If computers are more than just a past time, Ghost 2003 is an essential tool. It has saved my butt more than once.

Ok, I was worried it wouldnt make sense. Let me try again.

I want to install the OS. Get it set for benching, etc, basiclly to get a full clean install, all windows tweaks, drivers and settings fixed for IMO best performance etc.
I want to be able to set a back up here. (NOT XP restore point.)

Now, once everything is set, I can have this set, so when I change minor hardware, new vid or more memory etc, I can install this point of the OS install/backup/restore and not have to do a full re-format re-install.

Then, When I get to a point with my rig, I have all my programs installed I use on a regular basis, Yahoo mess, AIM, Winamp, TV Tuner prog, Adobe Photoshop, PSP, Gif Animator etc etc etc. I would like to have another point for this. Or seperate setup... whatever...

Make better sense?

Your right, ghost does exactly that. Beleiev me, its a worthwhile investments. I dont know how I ever went without, because now what use to take 2 hours of installing and tweaking now takes 20 minutes, if that. and you can backup and restore from backups anytime you want, and its easy to use.

I dont know of a free one, otherwise I wouldve used it, but I definitely understand what your trying to do here

but I definitely understand what your trying to do here

I don't. There is no fool proof restore other than to backup the whole system. I assume you would be doing this if you had a problem with installing things as you say. If you installed some hardware and had problems, you could either restore it back in Windows (if you created a restore point) but if you did that, you would first need to take the hardware back out before you restored it or you would have the same problems again. Same thing with copying back a previous backup. A problem with software would be no problem using a previous Ghost backup because the software would automatically not be there after the copy back. I'm not sure what a Windows Restore would do in that case. I personally don't use Restore, I don't trust it, other than to roll back to a previous driver. A Restore and a backup are not even close to being the same thing. The safest bet, IMO, would be to have another HDD for backup purposes. Then use Ghost 2003 to backup each time before you add something. Then if something goes wrong, copy it back.

Mike89 said:

I don't. There is no fool proof restore other than to backup the whole system. I assume you would be doing this if you had a problem with installing things as you say. If you installed some hardware and had problems, you could either restore it back in Windows (if you created a restore point) but if you did that, you would first need to take the hardware back out before you restored it or you would have the same problems again. Same thing with copying back a previous backup. A problem with software would be no problem using a previous Ghost backup because the software would automatically not be there after the copy back. I'm not sure what a Windows Restore would do in that case. I personally don't use Restore, I don't trust it, other than to roll back to a previous driver. A Restore and a backup are not even close to being the same thing. The safest bet, IMO, would be to have another HDD for backup purposes. Then use Ghost 2003 to backup each time before you add something. Then if something goes wrong, copy it back.
What he wants is a free Ghost alternative to create restore points with. The MAIN restore point he wants would be created after a fresh format/install and options tweaked. That way, when he wants to get a "fresh-format-feeling", he dosen't have to spend 2 hours formatting, installing, and tweaking. Only whatever is required to restore the backup from that point.

It's not to backup and protect his data in the event that software or hardware causes problems, it's to save time when he's going to re-install by not having to re-tune everything.

@IFMU: Haven't heard of one, though I'd be interested as well :)
JigPu

JigPu said:
@IFMU: Haven't heard of one, though I'd be interested as well :)
JigPu

Ah yea, thats it..... Wish I could have explained it that well...... :rolleyes: Sometimes I just cant do that... lol Sorry

And yea That is exactly what I want.

Well I was telling you exactly what you needed to do what you want. Call it a restore or a backup but to do what you want, it has to be a complete backup of the system in whatever state the system was when backup up. Keep in mind also that if you wanted a backup of when Windows was first installed, you need to take some notes on it so you remember which hardware devices may have been installed since then (and remove them prior to backup). The only backup I'm ever concerned with is the last perfectly working system but if you wanted backups on certain configurations, then just make them at the time and name them something you'll remember. There is just no easy way to do what you want (well actually, another HDD and Ghost is pretty easy once you got it set up), the information has to be stored somewhere. Like making backups to CD for example (which is really not practical unless your system is always very small) or another HDD as I stated earlier (maybe even an external one if you got the bucks) or a tape backup system (which I don't know why anyone would go that route).

It looks like you want to do all this for free, ain't gonna happen. It's a dam good investment though to get this stuff and then you're all set. It would be money well spent. Keep in mind too that having the extra HDD and Ghost will protect you if the Primary HDD takes a header.

Last edited:
Ok, I honestly didnt think that there was a super cheap/free alternative, but a man can hope cant he?! LoL

I basiclly am interested in having at least 2 'restore' points. I guess my term of backup was off some. Apologies for that. Guess I could use the right terminology for the actual meaning Im looking for huh?

I pretty much knew once I got to that point I would have to do some serious tracking so I know whats where and what/have you for when I did get to that point, it would have to be easier then formatting every couple of months and spending the hours of time just re-installing and tweaking etc etc.

Well, since its pretty much understand that Ghost is my only option, now I need to know of something/place that I can read up on it so I know the details once I do get this going.

Anyone know where I can read up on it? A posted 'review' or howto kinda thing?

Back