• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chevette vs Unpainted Core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Napoleon

Has anyone ever done a comparison of the Chevy Chevette heater core,a nd the Unpainted Core from d-tek? If not can people with either of these radiators post their temps and setups so we can determine the better heatercore. Thank you.

Well they are supposed to be the same.
IMO The only better thing I can think of is the barbs on the D-tek. If you can get barbs for the regular Heatercore, get it.

Suma.

The reason is cost, i am going to build a dual heatercore setup, and two chevette heatercore are cheaper than the dtek's. Is it hard attaching barbs to these heatercores?

Well, I've never done it.
you should check out this thread

You can try this method too.. (using compression fittings to fet your tubes).

Suma.

If you find a heatercore with 5/8" tubes in both locations, you don't need barbs. Tygon or Clearflex will stretch over the tubes.

Typical 1/2" brass barbs add a lot of unnecessary restriction to waterflow.

Yup Since87 has it right. The tube wil stretch fairly easily if you get the 1/8" wall. No need for barbs. Just cut the pre existing barb until theres bout 1" left and then boil the tubes, and shove it onto the barb...

I recommend getting a reguular heatercore as they are cheaper and D-Tek costs alot more for no reason...

They are the same as far as I know also. If you would rather use the D-Tek one but the cost is keeping you away look at the "Clearance" link on their page. It has scratch and dent stuff that works fine just has scratches and/or a couple bent fins. I used a core from there for a while and it had very little damage to one side. Well worth the $20.00 they are sold at.

Also, if your stretching doesnt work well - boil up a pot of water and soak the end of your tubing for about 1 minute. I bet it fits now. That's what I had to do to get mine to fit.

My P4 2.4c OCed to 3.0 at stock voltage gives me 31 degress idle 34 load and 26 ambient. This is a reading done from Probe so Its prob not accurate but considering my load temp used to be over 50... Im happy

edit sorry my ambient is 24 not 26

Last edited:
Napoleon said:
The reason is cost, i am going to build a dual heatercore setup, and two chevette heatercore are cheaper than the dtek's. Is it hard attaching barbs to these heatercores?

Nope. Just hack the old fittings down so there is about 2cm left. Grab some barbs, file to fit if needed. Flux the fittings, heat it up, and let the solder flow. Takes about 15mins from start to finish, if you know what you are doing, and have the right tools.

Back