• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Server 2003

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what you mean by "whats in it"?

Well its got IIS 6.0
some command line features for configuring AD and group policy, a new MMC for GP editing, which is very cool IMO.
everything from 2k server as far as services goes.
It also has a better AD/domain converter

oh, if you take XP and disable themese then thats the general interface, and there are none installed either. it also doesnt have games (even on the CD)

if no one else does I can get you some screenies at lunch

standard = 2k server
enterprise = 2k adv server
web has no licenses. its intended for web server. and it CANNOT be a DC (only limit).
and then datacenter. = 2k datacenter

oh ya, and Small Biz Serv. is just like Small Biz for 2k except its got the newer services.

oh and exchange 2k will NOT run on 2k3 fyi

the second difference is hardware supported.

Standard server is 4 procs and 4iggs RAM

Enterprise is 8 procs and 32/64gigs of ram (supports 8 node cluster)

Datacenter is 32/64 procs and 256/512gigs of ram (supports 8 node cluster)

Web Edition is 2 procs and 2gigs of RAM. sysreqs are also half of what standard is almost

Small biz is 2procs and 4gigs of RAM and 6gigs of HDD space min :eek:

Last edited:
havent done extensive testing on that, but I know others have.

after some driver updates and stuff I can play bf1942 w/ desert combat and CS 1.6 (Steam) works. plus various minor games so far. again, havent done a lot of testing on that side

Some have said to have compatibility issues with the OS and software. Like some software wouldn't install at all. Then agian there is site that someone gave me (back at home) that basiclly converts it to an upgraded XP Pro.

Sniper_83 said:
Sweet, I would like to get some screen shots. Any issues with software like games?

Its a server OS, Not Xbox. No one buys server for gaming. It costs several times that of XP. If you game just use XP. You will have issues trying to play some games and using some apps on server 2k3.

And there are actually two versions of small business server. One has sql server and a few more apps. The other doesn't. SBS needs a minimum of a gig of ram to run smoothly.

I was interested in the sever 2k3 because I run a small network, but I like to game as well. Just exploring ways to upgrade the whole network at once!

Ebola said:

And there are actually two versions of small business server. One has sql server and a few more apps. The other doesn't. SBS needs a minimum of a gig of ram to run smoothly.

I was wondering about that since it didnt list SQL under the features. is there one for each or is it one only has exchange and the other has both sql and exchange?

we have the msdn stuff right now so im not sure whats on each version. I think the premium version has SQL server, ISA server, and one other product that isn't available on the standard version. I'm pretty sure exchange is available on both versions since its pretty integrated with sbs.

here is a screenshot: (please be patient... my 256 up really sucks for 60k images :))

win2k3_ent_server.png

i disabled all the "xp" style because i think it is unnecessary for a server os (but that is just me)

i just let my parents use my server as their main computer because their old computer died on them... (that's why there are actually icons and useless programs installed ;))

also, my friend brett comes over and we game from time to time... he uses that rig and it works fine after i used the tweaks to turn on graphics acceleration and sound :)

Last edited:
What do you mean you had to turn graphics and sound on?

I like to think I'm a hard core gamer so would it be wrong for me to move from XP to server 2003?

Sniper_83 said:
What do you mean you had to turn graphics and sound on?

I like to think I'm a hard core gamer so would it be wrong for me to move from XP to server 2003?

it's a server os. it comes shipped without the sound service enabled and there are some graphics settings that are off. you can turn them on, but are normally not see for necessary server functionality so microsoft turned them off by default... no big deal...

read this: http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/index.htm

it tells you how to transfor win2k3 into a workstation

AHHHH AOL, there is AOL on your server!! AHHHHHHHH :eek: :eek:

:p

the configure your server and manage your server wizards are kinda handy too (I dont use them but they are useful)

Back