• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Scratched MY IC-7 MAX3 Motherboard!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerpetualBliss

Registered
lightly scratched the back of my IC-7 MAX3 as one of the underside supports grazed it on installation. The black plastic like coating was removed over three small copper channels exposing the now bare copper. Will this be an issue with static or corrosion over time. I covered them up with a permanent marker to protect them from corrosion over time. However, is ink conductive? What should I do?

I have not tested the board yet. I will try it out tonight. Could it be problem with it not working? I did not hit any resistors or components and the metal is not worn through. could the slight wear on the copper channels be enough to not let the correct amount of curent to pass through. But the wear is so small. hmm

Last edited:
I hear you P.B. I did the same thing to my MoBo removing the NB heat sink. I used the wife's clear nail polish in multiple thin coats, it dries fast. I believe they use lacquer to coat and seal the boards, sometimes its clear sometimes its tinted. I've been using my board for 3 weeks now with no problems. Did you inspect the traces before you covered them to see if any were broken?
Regards, Balrog

I would think of none of them were broken then it will still work..

Not sure about permanent marker, but I remember that clear nail polish is flammable, and I'm nto sure if the wires get hot enough, but I wouldn't do it..

I'd just leave it as is since its on the back side where you'll never touch it.

How did you do it anyway?

dont worry about it. as long as she boots and runs ok. i scratched my ic7 putting on the heatsink and started obsessing about it myself... i have about a quart of conformal coating. it is a plastisized coating to protect electronics from weather wear etc.. if u want to pm me with your address ill send u some to paint on the scratch..

Well, I scratched an old ASUS board a while back - I used nail-polish to cover the traces, but it died three days later for no apparant reason. I returned it to ASUS, and for $25 + shipping they repaired it - resoldered the traces and sealed it and everything. If your board is dead try ABIT, they will probably fix it for a small fee.

He should be fine. If not, as you said sent it back to Abit. I did so for blown capactiors on a BH6, BE6, SA6 and a scratch TH7II.

Better yet at some of the computer fairs I have been to, one particular guy was assembling a computer using a power screw driver, and scratched the board beyond repair. ZZZZZZTTTTTT SCRATCH!!!

OUCH.

Back