• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processes a computer is running and performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I've always heard that you don't want a lot of processes running on your computer. Can anyone tell me exactly why. If I have some processes running and they are using 0% of my processor then what is the big deal? I currently have 41 processes running on my computer. The thing is that I don't know what all the processes do. They have vague names. Is there an easy way for me to see which programs they effect? Is there some way for me to kill processes so that when I start my computer they don't load? I don't have very many programs on startup running. Just MSN and Prime95 basically. So why I have almost 40 processes at startup I don't know. I need to remove the ones that don't need to be running. If you guys know what the deal is hook me up :p
Duck

thanks for the site! it gives the tweaks. But I doesn't tell me why having a lot of processes is bad.

ToiletDuck said:
But I doesn't tell me why having a lot of processes is bad.

Processes and programs require cpu and ram to run. If the process is not one that you are using it is just wasting valuable system resources (cpu and ram), so basically its sucking away performance from other programs. Go to Start|Run|Msconfig. Once there check out the startup tab, you can manually disable programs on you can just click disable all and only vital programs will run when the computer starts up. That should do it. Good luck!

Matt

ToiletDuck said:
thanks for the site! it gives the tweaks. But I doesn't tell me why having a lot of processes is bad.

it's not REALLY bad to run many processes.

you want to run the one you REALLY NEED.

i'm sure you don't open all your apps and only use 1 while leaving other OPEN;) know what i mean?

powerme said:

it's not REALLY bad to run many processes.

you want to run the one you REALLY NEED.

i'm sure you don't open all your apps and only use 1 while leaving other OPEN;) know what i mean?

I do :D

hmm 3-4 IE windows.. couple BT's, mirc sometimes, Steam WMP with anime playing... and who knows what else ;)

pik4chu said:

I do :D

hmm 3-4 IE windows.. couple BT's, mirc sometimes, Steam WMP with anime playing... and who knows what else ;)

As long as it dosen't lag your system at all. The only reason for concern is if not all (most) your system resources are available for apps you want to run. If you have a bunch of background spyware apps, realplayer taskbar icon, aim icon and all that garbage it may take some of the cpu and ram away from the app you actually want to run. Know what I mean?

Matt

I know exactly what ya mean. in fact with all that running I have 2-3 things in my systray and thats it.. StyleXP, Audio thingy and EMIII on occasion :)

everything else in sartup and run Ive removed or disabled to help speed up boot time.

pik4chu said:
everything else in sartup and run Ive removed or disabled to help speed up boot time.

Basically same for me. I have folding and aim, thats it really.

Matt

Back