• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I burried 50 feet of copper pipe for a "radiator" w/pics (56k warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pelikan

Parts:
50' 3/4" copper pipe - $15. because it was a little bent.
Eheim 1250 - $30. used.
Maze 2 - $15. used.
Tubing & fittings - $20.

Here's the "radiator:"

site1019.JPG

Last edited:
The hole is lined with plastic to hold water, increasing heat transfer:
site1024.JPG

The tubing and pump cord goes in that vent and up through holes I drilled in the floor behind my system which is right behind that wall.
Edit: I replaced the photo of the Eheim with this one of my new pump.
site1034.JPG

Last edited:
that looks pretty neat. youll have to let us know how the performance changes with the weather. and it looks like you have the same cable modem as my brother! how long did it take you to do that? it looks like digging the whole would have been the worst part of it :D.

Gotta give it to ya, that's gotta take some crazy dedication to implement all that.:clap:

So how are you initial results?

Fortunately the dirt was very soft. I dug the trench in two hours.
I'm on the California coast and it doesn't freeze here. Even if it did freeze somehow the pipes are deep enough in the ground and I insulated the tubing that is exposed.
My temps dropped from 49C under load to 36C. And my overclock increased from 220 x 11 to 225 x 11 without increasing voltage.
I'm going to borrow a laser temp reader later so I can find out what the water temp is.

Thats awesome man! I have been debating something like that. wanting to drill 2 holes in my basement wall and just run it like that:D

How deep are the pipes in the ground?

Jon

Thanks everyone for the compliments.
The pipes are 1.5 feet deep. I think that's deep enough to take advantage of the underground ambient temp of about 10C. I didn't want to go too low for my pump's capabilities.

Don't you need a more powerful pump for that? Something like an Iwaki or Mag 3..?

I'm surprised the Eheim is still able to push water in your waterblock :)

holy crap that is awesome. I would definately do something like that, except its not very mobile for lan parties. Maybe if it was all wound up in a tube or something.....

ninety6 said:
Don't you need a more powerful pump for that? Something like an Iwaki or Mag 3..?

I'm surprised the Eheim is still able to push water in your waterblock :)

ehim has pretty high head room so it should be able to do fine.

Wow... What a commitment and dedication. :D nice!!!!

I would never do that... too lazy lolz :D

I don't think any of the pumps we are thinking can keep up a good flow rate through that. We are talking about pumps with a 10' head going through over 55' of tubing at least. So you should get something more powerfull and i'll bet your temps will increase even more :p Nice job though

And I thought I used alot of tubing...........you should hook up a flow meter to that setup and see what your getting. Perhaps for a little more monies you could get another pump to help with the pushing, unless your already getting good flowrate.

Biznatch said:
i'll bet your temps will increase even more

lol im sure thats exactly what he dosent want lol...

yea damn dude, my dad was mad when i told him i was going to put water in my pc, imagine if i hacked up the basement hahahah

I think you guys are right that I need a more powerful pump if I want to reduce my temps. A better block would help too, of course. But I want to figure out which should be the priority.
I need to measure my water temps somehow so I borrowed one of those laser temperature readers. It's like a gun that you point at something to read the temp. It says the temperature of the inlet barb on the block is 18C and the exit barb is 22C. My cpu socket temp is 34C right now and I'm running prime95. I think that this tells me that the water should be moving faster so I need a better pump. Maybe a better block too because the temperature difference between water and cpu is so big. What do you think?
The maze 2 was very difficult to mount because there is not enough room between the exit barb and the bolt next to it. To tighten the nut I had to pull the bolt away from the barb. The block was moving around a bit during this. Also I'm not sure I tightened that bolt at the same rate as the others.
My eheim was leaking when I twisted the tubing putting insulation on it. Is the intake barb supposed to be tightened? It turned in either direction easily and leaked unless I fiddled with it.

Last edited:
Back