• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe Migration of OS to diff system with same HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exiler

Allright, the topic is not very descriptive, so lemme start from the beginning.

My Current system is a
P3 733 FSB 133
Mobo: Asus CUSL2-C
Nvidia Geforece 2 MX
2 X 256 Mb Crucial RAM
Windows 98se DUAL Boot.

Seagate 80Gb HDD PATA 7200RPM

Now I wanted to just take the HDD out and put it into my new system:

ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
P4 2.6 800FSB
512 MB (2X256) DDR in Dual Channel. (Kingston)
ASUS Geforece 4 Ti4200 8420 128MB RAM

Now please note NOTHING is OVERCLOCKED. I put the HDD into the new system, got the choose OS to boot from (Since in Dual boot), choose W2K, got blue screen of death, couln't even boot up after:

FULLY loading the startup screen (the Windows is Starting up), after this point its from protection fualt error.

Win98se = get general protection error, says to restart.

Switching back the HDD to the old system results in EVERYTHING back to nornal.

Anyone know how to migrate this HDD with the OSs working without a reinstall? I have norton Ghost 2003, which allows me to mess with the system as much as I want, so I'm open to experiments.

Some notes:

Hyperthread is DISABLED.
EVEN safe mode dont work for me for W2K. (W98se safemode works)

Windows 2000 restore CD cant do anything, since no files are really damaged.

The two motherboards you have are very different.

Windows 98 sometime used to let you get away with switching boards, but it used to make a mess of the drivers and registry settings.

Windows 2000, XP and 2003 tend too not start at all.

I think that your only way to move forward is too reinstall again.

You can do a repair install on the 2k partition. Before you do that though, make sure you get all of you email, my documents and favorites backed up. I'm not sure about the 98se install.

Repair install? You mean the boot with W2K cd and do a repair? (when given option to Install or Press R to repair). Cause I already tried that, it didn't work. :(

I'm gonna see if I can do a force install of the mobo inf files. Cause its those things that are messing it up. Or find a way to get rid of the old puter's hardware info and put the new ones in. (would have been possible if the W2K safe mode worked. :(

when i go from iwill workstation board to abit ic7, all i did was connect the same hard drive with this new mobo. Everything is still working :)

winxp detects new drivers for chipset because i still keep all my video card, sound,and other pci cards, dvd,cdburner.

a smooth transaction. I may say.

Explained to MS and there is no problem

Back