• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i turn on the PSU but not computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bsspewer

I want to turn on my fan that'll be installed with my watercooling setup, but how? Can i just hook it up to a 9V battery or something?

Pin 4 and 6 on the 20-pin ATX PSU can be jumped to start the system (green and black, exactly as on diagram)

ATX.jpg

{PMS}fishy said:
Why do you want to do this?

to feel how cold it gets while it runs outside of the computer.

And for future referances to test fans and stuff w/o fear of harming the computer.

If you have an AT power supply sitting around in an old computer just use that. They make great bench/tester PSUs.

bsspewer said:

to feel how cold it gets while it runs outside of the computer.

And for future referances to test fans and stuff w/o fear of harming the computer.

Oh, ok.

Just connect the green wire to any one of the blacks. That will kick it on.

{PMS}fishy said:

Oh, ok.

Just connect the green wire to any one of the blacks. That will kick it on.

i appreciate all the responses. I got it. Needless to say, I wasn't thinking either. Somehow i thought by putting the fan on it, the waterblock would feel cold. Duh, i neglected to realize that the coldest the waterblock can get is the same temperature as room temp. Since it's already at room temp, it can't get any colder. Not to mention carnot's heat engine, for those that know what i'm talking about. You have to have a differance in temp to get any work out of a system.

Anyways. I got it, thanks. And sorry for the newbishness of this thread, sometimes we all have a brain lobe die.

iNSiGMA said:

How about you not worry about WHY and just anwser his question?

How about beucase to answer his question I needed to understand what he was doing.

Was that really necessary seeing has to how he has his answer now? I didn't think so. Sorry if my inabiltity to understand the inital question has upset you. I do not appericate remarks such as yours, and would hope not to see that again.

Thanks.

Back