• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW Water Cooling NB poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WC the NB- Overkill?

• Yes

Votes: 190 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 220 53.7%

• Total voters
Not overkill if you already have a WC system and want to get rid of a fan. If you run it in parallel or something you don't have to deal with the flow restriction, and it doesn't take much water to cool your NB. Plus, it's more future-proof than a heatsink.

Didn't we just have this poll?

I think it over kill. Waste of time, money, and flow.

The NB only puts out a little heat, a good Socket A HSF will take care of that with out any problems.

"Overkill. Ive got a Zalman NJ-32 heatsink on my IC7. Temps are at 40C, dont see how this could yeild higher o/c's."

I notice you ditched the stock northbridge cooler as well. I dunno if it had any influence on your current success (nice oc, btw!) but it did on mine.

Again, though, what worked in my circumstance might not apply to everyone else.

{PMS}fishy said:
Didn't we just have this poll?

Yes. Seeing however that that poll was started months ago (a long time in the land of computers), I felt it was out of date.

I really should have set a time limit for the last one (which I even forgot to do for this one- d'oh!)

rmonster said:

I notice you ditched the stock northbridge cooler as well. I dunno if it had any influence on your current success (nice oc, btw!) but it did on mine.

Again, though, what worked in my circumstance might not apply to everyone else.

I ditched it because the v1.0 IC7 had that crappy fan, which made a horrible sound for 3 weeks before it died. I wasn't able to o/c any furthur btw.

Well, during the first poll on this subject I chose no and had a MCW20 on my northbridge. Two pulled hooks later and some superglue, I have decided to take the NB block out of the loop. The results weren't justifying all the trouble involved in setting it up. Plumbing was a nightmare, probably moreso with 1/2". Sure it looked cool but it wasn't practical.

Yup yup. give me a solid evidence that putting NB WB actually did not hurt your CPU temp and gave you more OC. As far as Im concerned 10mhz increase is DEFINITELY not worth all the extra money, effort, and time.

damnit, i read the question too fast and voted no instead of yes. watercooling the nb is overkill and it just decreases your flow and your money.

depends on what you're going for.

If you're going all out, most performance, then I'd say an 80watt pelt at around 9V would be good. cooled by water of course.

I watercool mine, and will continue to.
I strive for quiet and stability, and that little 40 mm fan on them is a strike against both. I've yet to own one that lasts over a month before it's the noisiest thing in the case. And just who are they kidding with that heatsink?

No, I spent the money already (happily so), and also have one block that I built, and I'll never use a fan cooled NB again.

I voted no - watercooling the northbridge is not overkill.

I have yet to watercool my northbridge - but am planning to. I can get a very low-flow restriction block (Swiftech MCW-20) for less than a 40mm copper active heatsink locally, it is silent, and it even looks better.

The Northbridge doesn't put out enough heat into a Water circuit to signifigantly raise CPU temps if you have a decent Radiator (or two) - but watercooling it can be justified by the performance gain many get - and the absence of yet another annoying fan. The nForce2 chipset runs hot, and performs better at lower temperatures.

I also am justifying my choice by the crummy Aluminum cooler that they give you with the board, and the lack of inexpensive, quiet, and effective alternatives to a NBridge Waterblock.

Mmmmmm I'm thinking of water cooling my Southbridge chip as its the hottest thing in my PC now :p No fan = very very hot NB sink and even with an after market sink mod on the SB chip = a hot Southbridge sink too.

Some people seem quick to make sweeping judgements but it depends on your particular goals, system, uses etc. As far as I'm concerned any NB chip that has a fan will get a waterblock in any water set-up I build. If it hasn't got a fan it usually needs one its just the bean counters have deemed it not required on a cost basis, rather than anything more technical. Some of the newer mobos now have dedicated fet sinks....... I tried that on NF7-S and used passively it was little improvement, so gave them a waterblock = much better.

a NB waterblock need not create any additional flow restriction in fact set-up in conjunction with a GPU block it could be no worse or even better... I guess it depends how much you value effective total cooling over fans noise cost etc. To suggest it has no value or point is missing the point ;)

Last edited:
Back