• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to see something new???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Before I begin, let me say ever so clearly that I'm NOT affiliated with this or any watercooling retailer on this planet (or mine ;) ).

I had an idea this past week to visit the folks at BeCooling, aka www.aquastealth.com to see if they happened to have a scratch and dent bin that I might peruse for a slit edge waterblock base. I had a plan to build my own top of plexi for my rig.
In fact he (Brian) had a copper base that had one broken-off screw still in it, which he sold me for a nice price. I also picked up a Maxi Jet powerhead (impressive in initial tests...bathroom's all wet now).

But the real thriller was this little beauty that I have little idea how I was able to part him with.
It's a future waterblock, a one of a kind prototype that I've been given the opportunity to test (in my own humble non-JoeC way) and I'm allowed to post the pics here.
This is the only place you'll see them for now, so.....

NewBlock.JPG

NewBlock2.JPG

Now I'm sure there's gonna be some speculation on how it's made and all that, I did ask, but relented after an awkward silence. Wouldn't want to be shot for knowing too much, eh?

So, enjoy this teaser, and I'll try to post some results by Friday next as life allows.

[smithers]interesting...[/smithers]

I wish I had the opprtunity to actually meet the manufacturers of our stuff. Get to see stuff like you did. I'm jelous.

Now, I was just about to start making channels for my waterblock and originally wanted to do a pattern like that. I just couldnt figure out HOW to actually make those wavy channels. NICE block though, very interesting. Tell us how it works out ok?

Well, you're in Cali, there's got to be someone nearby.
All I did was look up the address in the website, and found they were local. I knew they were in Michigan because I'd paid sales tax on an 'net order there before.
Try it, you never know what you'll find!

By the way, I hope to compare it with the slitedge I picked up, I have them both lapped all nice and purty now, just waiting for their top.

awesome man, well I guess that nocks one of my designs off of my list to make cince someone already made it;)

Im interested in knowing the results. Can you measure the base thickness? that would be interesting to know.

Jon

How it's made - I bet that vacuum Copper cast. Am I sure? Not 100%, but VERY close to it. These 4 holes in base show that this metod is very probably for this block. These "fins" rather can't be made in other way if blockis designed for mass production. If it was just milled, it would take too much time and block would be uber-expensive and not worth costs & time. If it's a cast, it's cheap & fast to make.

Top was flattened in some sanding style. And another proof for my theory - small artifacts in base. Small holes like these appear when casting some stuff, especially copper, which is hard to cast.
Other thing - pics look like space between "fins" isn't o fconstant weidth - another vote for casting. And it's rather not low-vacuum cast becasue of precision with which fins are made.

Conclusion?
It can be a good & cheap block when it hits the market.

Those four marks could also be ejector pin marks, as they are depressions (hard to see in the pics).

Jon, I'd love to tell you the base thickness, but I cannot find my darned mic's. I know I had them somewhere, but I haven't needed them for quite some time.

Ven0m, the top was sanded by me in the process of cleaning the block up, it was smooth origionaly. Ketchup did a nice job on the tarnish, but there was stuff that it wouldn't take off.
I lapped the top and bottom much better since that pic was taken, the top to 600 simply because it's gonna have a plexi top...soon.

Back