• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Northbridge Block To Use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

computerpro3

Hi,
Today is part 2 in my 3 part watercooling part-buying binge, and I would like to tackle the northbridge in it. I am firmly convinced to watercool my northbridge, as even if it doesnt help the maximum overclock, i need this machine to be as stable as possible. So here's the dilemma. As you can see from my sig, i have an ic7 motherboard, which uses the stupid little wire retention clips:mad: . So which waterblock would perform the best, regardless of price, on my board, the DangerDen Z-Chip block, the Swiftech Mcw50-p Northbridge block, or should I wait until the Dtek "FSB" cooler for p-4 chipsets is released and go with that? Thanks.

Last edited:
cooling the northbridge isn't really gonna help you overclock, but it will add heat to your loop. therefore in the best interests of the cpu's temps it is probably best to go with a aircooled solution... swiftech makes a very good cooler.

im not really concerned about the cpu temp or the extra heat, as my setup will be as follows, and the consenseus in the thread about wc'ing the northbridge is that its not overkill.

Cascade CPU Block
Dtek ProCore with dual shrouds, 2 120mm fans push/pull config,
DangerDen maze4 GPU block
Danner Mag 3 Pump
northbridge block (undecided)
DangerDen dual bay Typhoon Quad Reservoir

I think this can handle the extra heat. I need the stability, and any extra FSB would be icing on the cake. So the question still stands? Which one is best?

p.s. I shot an email off to Dtek asking roughly when their p-4 compatible chipset block would be released

an aircooled solution will be perfectly stable, infact moreso, as there are less things that can "fail" and even if the fan goes you still have a good heatsink - the icying is that it will help you OC.

I would recommend the swiftech NB block since it is the least restrictive of all the NB water blocks.

I have a Cascade>Z-Chip-Maze4 in mine and run 25/28C full load. I'm also running dual rads in parallel though.

computerpro3 said:

Cascade CPU Block
Dtek ProCore with dual shrouds, 2 120mm fans push/pull config,
DangerDen maze4 GPU block
Danner Mag 3 Pump
northbridge block (undecided)
DangerDen dual bay Typhoon Quad Reservoir

You may already know, but theres a huge wait on the Cascade blocks. I ordered mine at the start of October and I'm being told of a Febuary ETA. You may want to consider another option to fill the time.

Hey computerpro, how's it goin?... I just wanna share some of my experiences with you in regards to watercooling the NB.
I basically have the same M/B as you, I also have a regular IC7-G so I know there aren't any differences when compared to my Max3. I have the MCW20 but it's not currently in the circuit. Before going on, I must warn you ahead of time that those clips on our boards WILL fall out, I've had two pop out on me. A little superglue fixed it but imagine the look on my face lookind downat my rig and seeing a hold down clip just dangling while I'm on the computer mind u, and this happend to me twice. Surprisingly enough, my motherboard hasn't sustained any permanant damage, none that I've noticed anyway (lookin around for wood to knock). So as far as the mounting hardware for the MCW20 goes, it's not very effective due to use of just two clips as opposed to all four that the DDzchip uses.. That alone would make me recommend you to go with the DD , a little more peace of mind. Granted it's more restrictive but you just heard my story with the MCW20. The thing that's real nice with MCW20 is that's it's really flow freindly. It's probably the least restrictive of the three choices you have in mind.
As far as performance goes, I only had a few mounts until up until my clips popped off, so I can't be too certain about the results. I've got dual ProCores, adding the NB block increased my temperatures by like .5-1C to the circuit, if that. the NB block appeared to do a pretty good job keepings things cool without too much of an effect on the rest of the system.
I didn't really get a chance to push my system to see how it affected my overclock. But there is one thing you should anticipate when you consider using all those blocks especially the NB since it sits between your cpu and gpu block and that is the increased difficulty in plumbing / tube mapping. It's harder that it looks trying to route 1/2" tubing to three blocks (which I've tried) in series. I had some difficulties going from cpu, to nb to gpu then back to my res which happends to be the one that you're going to get :), some of the bends would push the video card and bend it to disturbing levels. Installs will be more difficult and a little more attention to detail will absolutely be required.
So looking back at all this, I would have rather spent the thirty bucks it cost for my MCW20 on its cousin, the MCX159.
Although, I still plan to do more mounts with it and try different tube routes since I have it.
Anyway, just a little something I experienced that might help you.

Detract said:
Hey sbud, what temps were you hitting on your NB, before and after the MCW20? Just out of curiosity, Cheers.

Detract, ahhh, your avatar is what's etched on my case window, there's goes my individuality. Haha, just kiddin.

I didn't have a probe on my nb when it was installed. I was concentrated more on it's effect on my cpu temp, which increased temps by a degree or so, it fluctuated and I didn't have enough time to see consistant readouts, my hooks popped out like the second day. Then it was back to stock

2 days, thats gotta **** you off. I wish they had mounted holes instead of those clips. It makes it so hard to install anything without messing up the thermal compound.

Detract said:
2 days, thats gotta **** you off. I wish they had mounted holes instead of those clips. It makes it so hard to install anything without messing up the thermal compound.

Dude, tell me about it. I would get one hook on that mcw20 and smear the thermal coumpound all over, on top of that, don't even thing about adjusting anything in that area with a video card installed, just another pain in dealing with nb blocks.

Detract said:

You may already know, but theres a huge wait on the Cascade blocks. I ordered mine at the start of October and I'm being told of a Febuary ETA. You may want to consider another option to fill the time.

yea i know, i already ordered one, in the start of october also, but when i emailed cathar and he relpied saying that i was on the wait list, he said it was only a 6-week wait list.....has it gotten bigger?

sbud, thanks again for the great information there.....i'll definetly reinforce the loops with epoxy whichever block i decide to get. The danger den looks good, but can i use the chrome barbs with the poly top without cracking? My Reservoir and Maze4 GPU block came in today....that block is absolutley beeeautiful, and the reservoir looks solid also.

Ya, when I got that reservoir, I was like "damn" this thing can hold enough water for two systems, wait till you fill it and fill it and fill... :)

By the way, epoxy thos puppies good, because that's what I did initially to get the hooks back but they eventually fell off again which was my second disaster that I was referring to before. Plain ol' super glue is doin the job quite nice. (hoping it has no negative effect on surrounding pcb :)

Chrome barbs on that... hmmm, that would be sketchy with such a small surface. not too much resistance to allow a lot of torque, be slow and careful if you do go that route.

Last edited:
computerpro3 said:

yea i know, i already ordered one, in the start of october also, but when i emailed cathar and he relpied saying that i was on the wait list, he said it was only a 6-week wait list.....has it gotten bigger?

Well I got the same email as you to wait for six weeks. However Ive seen dudes at OC Australia talking about an ETA of early 04. Have to wait and see I guess. In the mean time are you going to use another block? Im keen on the Maze4 GPU as well, I wish I got it when I ordered my W/C gear from DD, shipping is the killer especially to NZ.

i dunno if i am going to use another block, as i am already spending over $400 once i pay for the cascade........ i really dont know but if i did it would be the maze 4 because it looks great, performs well, and is relativly cheap. And about the shipping, even though i live in the US, it is still a lot. Guess im spoiled from newegg and zipzoomfly....always get free shipping there lol :D

yea i dunno.....im frantically searching the internet for up to date info about the wait list but cant find any.....dont wanna bother Cathar again.....

if i can have the Cascade by Christmas or early Jan, i'll wait. If not, i think ill go with the maze4 for the cpu.

And yea, looking at this gpu block makes me wanna install it without any hosing/water/pump/rad and see what happens:D :D :D i think i need a support group to deal with the waiting.

There isn't really a "Wait" per se on cascades. It's that no more are being made till Feb.

i read a quote from cathar direct that said that he is taking no more orders on the Cascade until February because he needs to spend more time with his family due to the near birth of his second child AND because he needed to clear the wait list. I got in on the wait list before he cut the orders off. Like a week after my email, he killed the new orders, so i should be good. And yes, there is a wait, there has been a wait even before he stopped tkaing orders. im just wondering when i am going to recieve my block. I wish there was a real time update somewhere....

Back