• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My current order...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DOHCrazy

Hydor L30 Pump
Qty: 1 x $49.99

Ceramique Thermal Compound
Qty: 1 x $4.95

120mm Aluminum Fan (these are the evercool ones)
Qty: 2 x $11.99

T-Fitting 1/2"
Qty: 1 x $0.99

Unpainted Combo 1/2" (modded HC with one shroud)
Qty: 1 x $46.99

D-Tek Core Fan Shroud Kit
Qty: 1 x $14.99 (shroud for the pulling fan)

This is what im currently planning to order. Im getting a guy i know to machine my blocks(NB and CPU). Ill grab all the tubing and clamps from Home Depot.

Anything look wrong?

err, hes made them before. So im going to discuss designs with him when i talk to him. Probly tommorow.

Im plannin on takin pics of the whole installation process. But im still plannign everythign out.

Ill grab all the tubing and clamps from Home Depot.
Yeah sure, stainless steele clamps from Homedepo will work ok, but by no means should you use their tubing. The stuff is pretty stiff but kinks really easily, which is something you don't want.

It also is easily stained. Basically, the stuff is kinda junky. You might want to get some ClearFlex 60 Instead, it's much softer, stronger and doesn't kink as easily. Most goot online watercooling supplies carry it.:)

1. Go to mcmaster.com
2. Search "chemical tubing"
3. You should get this as a result: "Tygon Chemical/Laboratory PVC Tubing"
4. It should be page 85
5. Pvc chemical = clearflex 60, it should be 65 cents per foot for 1/2" 1/8" wall

You will save mucho $$$ by

1. Regular heater core - Only mod you need is cutting the pre-exixsting barb and boiling the tube to fit over it ($20)

2. Tupperware shroud ($5 @ MOST)

$25 total compared to $62

The decision is yours...

If your lucky your Home Depot might have the same tubing as the one here does. I went the other night to get some barbs and looked down at the tubing. They had 1/2" ID 1/8" thick walled tubing.

Hmm Klownin79, did that tube kink well or was it as flexible as ClearFlex?? It would be nice if i can find some nice tubing around home.

Also, you can make your tupperware shrouds look nice if you paint it black. Soja has done this so hopefully he will give you more advice on this.

I would replaced that 1/2" T-Fitting with a 5/8" one. The 1/2" one probably has a 3/8" ID, while the 5/8" has a 1/2" ID. You can easily stretch your hose over the 5/8" barb. A small thing - just looking out for your flowrates. :)

Klownin79 said:

That I don't know but seeing as how it the same ID and OD it should bend the same.

I know the tubing you're talking about. It looks great, but if you actually try bending it, you'll see its pretty much a nightmare to deal with. It doesn't have remotely the same level of flexibility as Clearflex60, despite having the same wall thickness, and is also a lot more expensive, if I remember correctly.

This is the stuff you want:
1. Go to mcmaster.com
2. Search "chemical tubing"
3. You should get this as a result: "Tygon Chemical/Laboratory PVC Tubing"
4. It should be page 85
5. Pvc chemical = clearflex 60, it should be 65 cents per foot for 1/2" 1/8" wall

I've had good and bad experiences with HomeDepot tubing. The first batch I bought was very stiff, kinked easily and was "smashed" so that it wasn't perfectly round. I then decided not to use HomeDepot tubing anymore but was in a pinch one day and had to buy some (Home Depot is 5 minutes away). This time the tubing was softer, rounder, and didn't kink nearly as bad as the first batch.

It's the same brand, same price as what I bought before but it's much nicer. I compared it to some Kuri-tec tubing I got from Swiftech and it seems to be practically identical aside from the Kuri-tec having writing all over it which I dont care for.

As long as I can get this "good batch" of tubing from Home Depot, I'll continue to use it. You just have to avoid tight bends (2 to 3 inch bend radius (4 to 6 inch circle) is about all you can expect from it).

Heavy

themodguy said:
Just remember that you will need 2 shrouds for your rad, whether you make them or buy them.

Thats not true you only need two if you wish to do a push/pull set-up. For the longest time I ran with 1 fan and 1 shroud. Now with ruing 2 of each my temp is 1C lower.

Back