• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

With new DVD Drive, I can't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

js341

Registered
Well I purchased a new NEC ND1300-A DVD RW for my computer. Well I've benn having problems with this drive from the start, I tought I worked most of them out, but this is my last problem. When I boot fresh first thing in the morning, my computer locks up. It does it in the beginning before the operating system starts, and sometime hangs durning the OS boot. I've loaded the lastest firmware and that sovled some problems, but not this booting problem. If I boot about ten times, it will finally work and the drive works fine and I can restart with no problem. Its just when I boot first time in the day.

Yes

Yes I did, I've reflashed the bios, and reset the cmos. Still no joy, I'm going to RMA it cause I know I didn't start having this problem until I first installed this drive. I even bought a 500W power supply just in case cause I had a 350w, but still the same thing.

Still no joy

I tottally removed the drive and now the computer is still acting up. When I turn off the power supply, it will start normally sometimes, but Now I'm going to RMA the DVD drive and hopefully I haven't damaged the motherboard.

I wouldnt think it has damaged the MB. If i turn off my power supply, it has to boot twice. ( i dont know why ) Then it is fine.

What exactly is it doing now, with the dvd not hooked up?

New bios out

Well I noticed today the Gigabyte put out a new bios version for my motherboard. Well I flashed my MOBO and the problem seemed to go away. I already sent the DVD drive for RMA, so I'll have to wait about a week until I can see if anything is really fixed. The replaced the F7d(beta) with F7. I've reflashed several time before so I know this might not have fixed any problem. But I just hope it fixed itself. Thanks for the help though K1ll1nT1m3....

What... New bios? Thanks, that is a new version. ( I was gone this weekend ) I am gonna have to try it too. Hope it fixes your problem. Good luck

Edit: Looks like a new audio driver too. Or am I wrong?

Edit2: Thats an easy flash. I like the fact that they wrote a batch file to do it. :D

Last edited:
so far so good

So far so good, I don't have the problem like I was having with the DVD drive even tough the bios version was for something eles I think, but oh well it seems fixed.

Back