• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WaterBlock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heatsinkguy

Disabled
Hi, can anyone find me a waterblock for intel p4 system THAT dose not require the removal of the black thingy around the cpu socket and that DOES not require mounting with screws?

You know? I would kiss you rite now if i was a female...man that must have been hard to find

Why exactly wouldn't you want to remove the Intel retention mechinism? It gives you the option of so many more waterblocks. I read in your thread HERE that you are a little worried about jumping into watercooling and I have to say if you are unwilling to even remove the Intel rentention thing that you might just be better off staying with aircooling and getting quieter fans.

However if you are interested in watercooling, yank the damn Intel rentention thing off and look into some good waterblocks that use screws to hold them down which give much better pressure to the chip than the tab holders on the MCW5002 will.

By leaving it in, it's that much less to do to go back and forth between H2O and air. Making it easier to get in to in the sense your not stuck with one or the other. The Swiftech is a good choice for this purpose, so go for it and welcome to the wetter side of cooling ;)

Couldn't agree with Animal more. What you'll discover is that having more control during block mounting is essential to a proper mount which would lead to the desired results. By they way, I've used that block before and let me tell you, once you feel the amount of turque that's required to get those clips snapped in, you'll reconsider your stance on removing the retention bracket real quick... watch, you'll see. :)

Seriously, removing the retention clips is easy.....I did it and i'm 14. You can definetly do it, sir. all you have to do is flip the mobo and locate the little pins in the middle of the push pins. Remove the pins from the other side with a pair of needlenose pliers, and then just squeeze the push pins together and through the mobo. Off the retention clip comes. I did this to mount my sp-94. I love how without it you can precisely control the mounting pressure on whichever application you choose for your cooling, making you much more confident. You can check and re-check for proper thermal contact, ensure of an even mount, the advantages are numerous. Plus, if I knew that all that was seperating my computer from a watery death was 2 plastic clips, i would not feel very confident. Now 4 metal bolts.....that sounds much better to me:D .

what do u mean? Iam pretty sure its easier ? just gotta push it and add those clips in?

Okay i just configured watercooling system online with everything and it costs upto 180 dollars. Is there any way i can do it with 150 dollars???
Ill be willing to remove the black thingy....Also i need a resvoir and dont wish to use a tline.
can anyone configure the parts online and tell me the price?

What are you planning on running? You may be able to save some money if your buying an expensive rad by going to the Clearance area in www.dtekcustoms.com . I'm pretty sure that there cores are relative to chevette's, so they will be good. Be sure to get the fittings that you need for your setup (tubing wise).

Fold and Frag on
Brian

iam planing to run 3ghz intel....i just need something under 150(i mean the whole watter cooling kit)

I want to cool ONLY THE CPU for now but after 2 months ill want to cool the NB.
I want a Pump, Resvoir, Tubing, Waterblock, and Clamps.
I need it for atleast under 165 bucks..pllzz can u configure me one?
And hopefully i want a waterblock that can fit in the p4 black thingy around the cpu socket without removing the black thingy

Hmm...I don't know much about the P4 mounting system...but I think the WW would fit w/the retention bracket still in..just notings its popularity :D

Dtek WW - $55

Silver HC + Necesary Fittings - $24

(or you can get a black one)

Danner Mag 3 - $45

BayRes (fits into 5 1/4" bay) - $25

120MM fan for HC - $7.50 (w/molex connector, o/wise just bare leads for $6)

Not sure how much all the clamps and hosing would cost, but make sure for each of the items, that you get the same sized fittings, so you wouldn't need to put in adapters in areas which may reduce your flow even more.

That total comes to $156.50 bux, which leaves like 10 bux for tubing and clamps, which shouldn't be all too much. If you didn't want a heatercore (which I find unwise, unless you have some other heat exchanger) then that takes $24 off of that.

It seems like a decent setup to me, maybe someone else can find better deals ;)

Oh ya, and its also a good idea to hunt through the classifieds (forum) for stuff, you can usually get good deals.

Good luck :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Omg i didnt know petsmart has pumps and they are sooo good.
Is 250 gph good enuff? Its only going to be used to cool my cpu.
Swiftech WaterBlock = 50 bucks
250 GPH = 35 bucks
Resvoir = 25 bucks
Radiotor with 120mm fan and shroud = 47 bucks
Clamps, Tubes,Additive = 20 bucks

That mag 2 should be ok, but keep in mind that Petsmart does not carry the typical mag pump with a threaded inlet. It's called a Pondmaster as opposed to Supreme mag (how most pple know them), the pondmaster comes with a 5/8" barbed inlet just to let you know ahead of time, that means stretch that tube or buy a replacement pump cover that has a threaded inlet. They're both the same pump, it's just that petsmart sells it as a pond kit so it uses a large inlet.

Last edited:
so if i buy online its okay? I want the pump that fits 1/2 inch tubing....does it fit?

How much was your whole watercooling system? can u giveme the link on marinedepot...i cant find it in there...and will it fit 1/2 inch tubing?

Back