• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad Preformance Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Checking out some RADS right now, and i just wana compair them with some that you guys are all using for example the Chev heatercore.

So what I am looking for is the BTU an hour.
So if you know what the BTU an hour is for your RAD could you please let me know...
Or if you know were i can find the BTU an hour, please let me know that as well

Any help would be great thanks

I don't think a btu/h rating would help you much for heatercores, as they are made for a much higher flow/pressure pump, much greater heatload, and a fan you'd never be able to stand the noise of.

Point is, the rating would be based on the system they were designed to run in, so the numbers wouldn't really help us, or even be easily compared to each other because of the differences between cars and their systems.

That aside, the only number that I can recall seeing is over 1500 btu/h, and I'd still doubt how that would apply to us. Hypothetically, if our system gave off 500btu/h, that heatercore would get at or below ambient easily, but it won't because the rating would change with the system it's tied to.

Diggrr said:
I don't think a btu/h rating would help you much for heatercores, as they are made for a much higher flow/pressure pump, much greater heatload, and a fan you'd never be able to stand the noise of.

Point is, the rating would be based on the system they were designed to run in, so the numbers wouldn't really help us, or even be easily compared to each other because of the differences between cars and their systems.

That aside, the only number that I can recall seeing is over 1500 btu/h, and I'd still doubt how that would apply to us.
I would think it is the only real value we have to judge them by as its a max btu/h rating anyway. I know it's not what "we" will get but it could be used as a way to see the potently ie) if you have one that dose 300 btu/h and another of the same size that dose 600 btu/h it would tell me the 600 btu/h one is most likely of a higher quality and would do better than the other.

Correct, but only if it were a standard measurement (ie. at 4 gpm, 10 psi, 200F water temp, 120cfm blower at 12 in/m...etc.) for all the units you were comparing.

I'm not sure if there is such a standard set, or if the manufacturer gets to produce their own numbers from the designer's best guess or it's performance in the car it's intended for. If it's the latter, then there's no way to even compare them.

Diggrr said:
I'm not sure if there is such a standard set, or if the manufacturer gets to produce their own numbers from the designer's best guess or it's performance in the car it's intended for. If it's the latter, then there's no way to even compare them.

thanks thats the answer i was looking for.,.. well the next best thing.

I thought thier was a standard....
so i just wanted to make sure i was looking at a good heatercore.

Anyhow, i was at Princess Auto and noted the Auxilary heaters were on sale, well a few anyways... and as you all know, thats just a heatercore.

these 3 are on sale
3 425 BTU/hr with a 60CFM 1speed fan
13 500 BTU/hr with a 185CFM 3 speed fan
21 000 BTU/hr with a 295CFM 3 speed fan.
you can see the 3rd on on page 19 of the flyer here:
http://www.princessauto.com/downloads/catalog242/flyer_english.pdf
or look here for a pick of the 3rd one listed..
http://www.princessauto.com/_osn.cf...CH=1&SRCHAREA=OSN&T1=12 VOLT AUXILIARY HEATER
the other in the link abouve is ratted for 24 700 BTU but i dont like the size/shape

prices are cheaper in the store than the flyer for some reason.

the heatercore comes inclosed in a box with the fan already in it.
So what do you think????
Odds are i am gona be picking one up this weekend

Back