• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit SA6R onboard sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

I not sure whats happening, I am trying to use the AC97 onboard sound on my Abit SA6R but its not appearing in the device manager. I install the lastest XP drivers but when I go to use anything on my computer with sound it says no playback device present.
It enabled in the bios and I have been trying all sorts of things to get it to work now for hours.
Do you think that my onboard sound may have died?

I had an aftermarket card but I have now removed it to use in another computer, I need to get this onboard sound to work. The only sound I get from it is systems bios beeps during boot phase and in windows error beep.
btw. I am running everything stock/not overclocked.

Thanks for replying.
I gave those abit drivers a try, that webpage you listed had newer drivers than the taiwan page, a343 instead of the a341 that I downloaded. But I didn't have any luck with them either, they appeared the same format as the other older driver and did nothing. By the looks of the onboard drivers, it seems to me that Abit didn't modifiy them themselfs.
Did you ever your SA6R onboard sound to work under XP?

Yes it did.

Did you enable the AC97 Codec in device manager? It could be loaded as disabled, I have seen this with a Dell Motherboard as well.

But not on the Abit SA6 R that I owned. Wondering why your onboard sound doesn't work, and mine had.

hmmm.

there appears to be nothing in the device manager, no ! or disabled thingys, or even something saying AC97 sound.
So your saying that with yours you had some sort of icon happening in the device manager?
I have a look tomorrow and post whats listed in there.

I don't know what else it could be when it comes to the sound. Also, did you completely remove the aftermarket drivers? Soundblaster or Turtle Beach drivers from your control panel in add remove programs?

How are those capacitors on that SA6 R. That may be another issue entirely.

I did have to RMA my SA6R because my capacitors were buldging and leaking, then abit put in new ones. Now that system is long gone.

You can try re-installing completely, reformatting etc. Not sure what else to think of. Any jumpers moved around by accident on that board? Look at your user manual that came with the motherboard.

I am out of ideas.

I don't know what else it could be when it comes to the sound. Also, did you completely remove the aftermarket drivers? Soundblaster or Turtle Beach drivers from your control panel in add remove programs?

How are those capacitors on that SA6 R. That may be another issue entirely.

I did have to RMA my SA6R because my capacitors were buldging and leaking, then abit put in new ones. Now that system is long gone.

You can try re-installing completely, reformatting etc. Not sure what else to think of. Any jumpers moved around by accident on that board? Look at your user manual that came with the motherboard.

I am out of ideas.

yeah i about 90% sure now that my onboard sound isnt working, if there is any chance that it is then I don't think the solution is going to be so simple. It should of been detected when I installed the driver set. Already done a couple of reinstalls of xp and even tryed win98.
Before I owned the board the onboard sound use to work under window98 but since then ive have owned it I have only run windows xp, during that time I replaced the caps myself.
It might be possible that I zapped the onboard sound or something during the cap replacement operation.

The SA6R machine is for sale but I don't want to sale the soundblaster live with it. Thats why im so desperate to get the onboard sound working.

Are there jumper settings onboard for that sound chip. It should be in the manual.

Something may have been bumped.

Wow, you did the caps yourself. Cool. I had mine sent in, with a VP6, BE6 II, SA6 R, BE6 II v 1.1. No fun here on my side.

Tryed the jumper. nothing.
Should be no problem anymore since the board has been sold in the machine I use to own. Had to sale it with my soundblaster live 5.1 :( since I couldn't find a solution.
Yeah did the caps myself, heard that when rma'ing the boards they just replace them with the same type of caps(green jackon's), so that means oneday they will go again. I put on these big *** panasonic caps. My overclock of my 800EB jumped from 890mhz/148.5fsb to 968mhz/161.5fsb rock stable.

btw. I know of 2 BE6's I use to own still going without cap replacemnent, might be cause they only run low mhz: PII 400mhz and PIII 667mhz.

Yeah, the older BE6's will run with the 100fsb CPU's. not too sure about that 667 P3. Anything 133FSB seems to do harm to the jackson green type caps.

BTW. I got my boards back, and they had plycon capacitors replaced. Not the Jackson type green as you are refering to.

Strange. But doing your own board is sweet. Props for that.

MY stepfather has a BE6 2 1.0 and using an 850mhz p3 100fsb, soon as the 933mhz cpu with PC133 ram is added in, the system starts to flake out. There was a site that I posted on here, about cap replacements, and had photo graphs of a board that had the jackson style caps...

the gentlemen that had these pictures also did the repairs, and provided and address that you can send the board too... one of the key tests that he mentioned, was the 133fsb test.

Interesting...

Anyways sorry about the Soundblaster... it would have been a better deal to package it in there. You can get an OEM Soundblaster 5.1 for cheap at www.mwave.com or www.newegg.com or www.zipzoomfly.com for cheap.

BTW, you have a sweet 2.4b in your sig. My 2.4b sitting in my BH7 is a flakey CPU, doesn't get that speed on default voltage. :(, only on 1.7 it does, and it still is flaky. Better luck I had is with the 2.4c. I guess my Karma paid off on it. J/k.

thanks but I got a soundcard for my second machine, audigy 2. i dont live in the usa so those great deals at those online stores i miss out on :(

oh yeah the BE6 cpu are as follows:
PII 350 @ 402mhz/115fsb
PIII 550E @ 667mhz/124fsb - this chip would max out the BE6 with easz at 850mhz/150 under voltage too, but the chipset and ram really didnt like much over 124

I can power my 2.4 on 1.425v all day long at 3.06 but if I try and go past 3.12ghz I can expect problems to set in. Raising Vcore doesn't help much either I think I need water cooling if I wanna go further, but then again my spark7 with the fan on maxium didn't make it stable all the way upto 3.3ghz. So for 100% stability I run it 24/7 at 3.06ghz 1.525v the spark 7 on about 7v setting since I cannot bear any loud fan noise.
I would think of getting a 865 or 875 chipset but theres hardly any real world difference when using the system, even with gaming the gains are so minimal that I can't justify the extra cost. I only going on what I have read and the benchmarks for those statments.

Thats too bad. I am sure there are good stores where you live to get good deals...

ON your 2.4b, for what it can do, that is excellent. Funny when I got my chip, I could not go past 3.12 either. But of course I am using a switftech heatsink MCX 478 for that with a Delta Fan.

You BE6 setups are not too bad. If you happen to stick in a 133fsb chip in there with pc133 ram, I would expect problems later on. (long term)

Good luck though on getting a soundcard. Just have to look around.

Back