• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cutting a hole in your mobo tray!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToolBox

Have you done this? Would you recommend it? What if you hit really, really hard on the side of the case were you cut the whole out and the metal came in contact with the back of the mobo, wouldn't it be fried?

I couldn't think of why you should worry about it shorting the motherboard anymore than a whole backplane one would, unless you're driving nails with your computer. :eek:

It's fine to cut that hole. I personally don't do it anymore because the watercooling mounting bolts are the first things to get installed on my new motherboards. I never have a need to move them without tearing the computer down anyway to retire it or pass it on to the kids, in which case it goes back to air cooling. My bolts mount once, and don't need to be removed to change blocks or processors.

Cut the hole, and buy a hammer :D

I was thinking about cutting a hole in the tray to put a small fan over the back of my mosfets...hmm. :)

You could just cover the side case panel with plexi-glass or such on the inside. I cut the mobo tray around my socket area so i can get to the pins to adjust the mult..., or the 4 hole hold down. Just make sure to measure twice and cut once otherwise it could be a pain.

I think cutting a hole on the tray should be fine as long as you dont cut too much resulting in the loss of the structure of the tray. Rememebr you do need to push things on your mobo to install it...

i cut holes in my mobo tray to mount a fan that blows on the back of the cpu and mosfet and NB SB area of the pcb and also allows access to the bolts that hold on the water block

as long as your holes arnt in the stratigic areas like behind the middle part where the video card is or near a corner that requires suport youll be ok

I was considering this as a way so keep swapping blocks easy then I found this thing Here. I have them on order and I should get them on Monday (last piece to finish my duel rig). They are 8-32 nuts the snap into the holes on the mother board so you will never have to grab from the other side again :D

Yeah I cut out the back right behind the bolts, I need to re-cut mine because I have a horisontal layout now with my nf7.

Jon

If you're really good the hole might come out as professional looking as this:
00_00205.JPG

Actually it lookes even more ghetto now that I had to cut out different areas for my NF7 mobo! :) It does make NB cooler mounting easier.

O

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I think I might just have to cut out part of the tray so I can easily swap/remount my waterblock. And Owen, your computer looks sooo ghetto, I just had to comment.

I have been doing this for years. If you do cut away behind the socket for getting to the mounting hardware then also give mounting the springs on the backside a try. I have found that this gives me a much better mounting without having to worry about the hoses getting in the way. Just find bolts that are the right length so you can still shut the case door.

Owen: That looks like it was attacked by ravenous billy goats!

pHaestus said:
I have been doing this for years. If you do cut away behind the socket for getting to the mounting hardware then also give mounting the springs on the backside a try. I have found that this gives me a much better mounting without having to worry about the hoses getting in the way. Just find bolts that are the right length so you can still shut the case door.

I got the idea from you, from an article you wrote in ProCooling. Just didn't know if it was 100% safe. Will it work if there is no mobo tray--just cut out the backside of where the mobo is mounted?

Yeah, that'll work fine with or without a removable mobo tray...Owenator's pic above doesn't have one. Not having one might even be better, because you may not be able to remove a tray once the hardware was in the way.

And like pHaestus said, just make sure no hardware will interfere with closing the case door. It'd suck finding out it didn't all fit when you went to shut the case. ;)

pHaestus said:

Ravenous billy goats eh? Ravenous, I think I've heard of them. Aren't they Home Depot's in house brand of tools? Billy Goats, do they work on sheetmetal also? I always called them 'tin snips', but I'm from the northwestern US, we use different terminology. ie rain = liquid sunshine! :) LOL

O

Back