• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling vs prommy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flapperhead

most of the prommy guys say its usually good for about 300 mhz extra. has anyone actually tested their overclock with standard air cooling as opposed to a good watercooling setup?the reason im asking is if the watercooling setup is worth say an extra 150-200 im gonna go with that instead of a prommy and save some cash... thnx flapperhead

is that 500 mhz higher than a standard cooling oc? cause if it is thats very impressive... the info i got about prommie cooling was from hipro5 he said to expect about 300 mhz extra as opposed to standard air cooling...

i find these answers very informative. What im looking to do is get an extra 200mhz or so out of my 2.4c over my hi end air cooling setup.. right now my max is 295 fsb(3540). id like to get over 300 1-1 and i was about to buy a prommie when the thought popped into my head"is how much extra would it really give me and would a good water setup do the same job at a lot less money".

Well the secondary question here is do you play games and do you have a high(ish) end video card.

The argument for water vs phase-change gets a bit more complex if you have a $$$ cap and water-cool the video card as well.

Generally you can look for around a 10-15% higher GPU core clock on your video card (I stress here - 10-15% without artifacting) if you water-cool it.

Depending on what you do most with your computer, what you lose in terms of peak overclock that a phase-change setup gives you, you will gain in that you can cool your GPU better and get more out of it, all for less money.

If you're a CPU-only boy (Folding, etc) , then it's hard to go past a phase-change unit. If you're into gaming and don't have the $$$ to spring for phase-change for your CPU and water-cooling for your GPU, then water-cooling both the CPU and GPU will likely get you comparitive system performance for less $$ than just phase-change cooling the CPU alone.

Cathar said:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=202666

A little "challenge" done between a high-end water setup and a Vapochill PE.

A Prommie Mach II is better than a Vapo PE though. You should gain around 150-200MHz or so with a Prommie Mach II over water-cooling on most CPU's.
Cathar I was just going to search for that thread, you saved me the trouble :D Thing is there is watercooling and there is extreme watercooling. By extreme I mean a serious pump (Iwaki or the like), a great block (Cascade, White Water, RBX) and multiple (or 1 huge rad) rads. For me, by removing the IHS on my CPU AND adding a second rad in my system, I lowered temps by 10 - 11C. That is a HUGE difference.

With a CPU that emits say 140W of heat (possibly the Prescott) I would feel MUCH more comfortable with H20 as opposed to phasechange. H20 can deal with huge heatloads where eventually you overwhelm a phase unit, as seen above in Cathar's thread.

i havent been gaming in a while, but i love it. and although i didnt think about it u are absolutely right in addition to my cpu i could also cool the nb and gpu, which the extremely expensive prommie wont do... i was also thinking since i live in maryland i could even put the radiator on the outside of my window and let mother nature help... man this has been one of the best threads for info ive gotten in a long while, its really got me thinking... any thing else u guys can think of let me know.... thnx flapperhead

Back