• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which pump for this system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewGuy143

I know this question is asked a lot of times but I need to know it. My system will have a cascade SS(hehe) 1 or 2 heatercores and when it comes out the hydra gpu block and a res but thats not really affecting. By the way would it be better to have a t-line.
Thanks
TheNewGuy

Hydor L30 is my recommendation (reliable and not as $$ as 1250)

The advantage of t-line is
1. less space
2. easier to install
3. no leaks caused by faulty res

The advantage of res
1. fill/bleed process is much easier
2. Looks cool

You can decide from those facts i mentioned

You forgot to mention that reservoir's kill flow too...

Anyway, I would get an Iwaki, but that's just me :D I would get a Danner mag 3 or the Swiftech MCP600. The L30 and the 1250 are good but lack real pressure.

Is the swiftech you mentioned 12v because I heard pumps that connect through the power supply are less good.
And btw how much tubing would I need in that system in a chieftec matrix full-tower(Only cpu + 2 heatercores)

I would suggest the Swiftech over any of the other common hobby pumps (eheim, hydor, danner). It's small, consumes little power, and has more pressure capability than the others. It's 12V, but it is brushless and designed for continuous usage so I don't see that as being an issue.

Some test results here

nikhsub1 said:

Anyway, I would get an Iwaki, but that's just me :D I would get a Danner mag 3 or the Swiftech MCP600. The L30 and the 1250 are good but lack real pressure.

hahah i tried to mention the pros not cons... I thought that would help him decide but ehhh lolz

The reason why i didnt recommend Mag3 and MCP600 is because of reliability issue....

I replaced my Danner with a MCP600 and have'nt had any issues at all. They're great pumps.

Ok my choice has been made and Ill go with the mcp600 but I just wanna know how much tubing would I need in that system in a chieftec matrix full-tower(Only cpu + 2 heatercores).
TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy143 said:
Ok my choice has been made and Ill go with the mcp600 but I just wanna know how much tubing would I need in that system in a chieftec matrix full-tower(Only cpu + 2 heatercores).
TheNewGuy

10 will be enough and gives you room for mistakes

hope not OT

nikhsub1 said:

That got me scritching my melon....... why do you postulate this nikhsub1?

I don't know if this "rule" would apply to me tho....

My Aquaclear's impellor area has a 2" pvc pipe epoxied to it, then screwed into the side of my resevoir. NO intake restriction. :)
(Res=Home Depot large weather-proof elec. box)

I'm just curious as to why you make that claim....
My numbed brain is confused. :)

Thanx.

The way people typically use res' is somewhere in the middle of the loop, take a bayres for example. The res is a steady state of water. Water enters the res, then basically stops. The pump must then get the water moving again through the loop. Start, stop, start, stop etc. With a continuous loop (t line for example) you have the water moving in a constant loop with no stopping. Will having a res negatively affect temps? I do not know as I have never used one. Having a res directly feed the inlet of a pump can be a good thing, however, the same theory still applies that once the water enters the res, it stops.

But, the pressure of the water entering it, would force water out.

It would create high pressure in the res, and low pressure in the tubing.

Danner Mag 3 is good if you do install the barbs right. Its about the same as the Swifty pump but doesn't run off the PSU and is quiet. pHaestus, you didn't include the Danner Mag 3 in that round-up. Seems a bit unfair IMHO.

mmmm

Ok thanx for the 'spenation.
I see what you're saying... not that I wholly agree tho. :)
Even with a res. it's still a constantly flowing closed loop no?
Intriguing tho.... If I had the means, it'd be fun to test!
Ah well, it'll have to wait for a different build.

I am very appreciative to you and forum members.
The applied knowledge from lurking, has made my 1st WC setup
a complete success!

Thanx.

nikhsub1 said:
The way people typically use res' is somewhere in the middle of the loop, take a bayres for example. The res is a steady state of water. Water enters the res, then basically stops. The pump must then get the water moving again through the loop. Start, stop, start, stop etc. With a continuous loop (t line for example) you have the water moving in a constant loop with no stopping. Will having a res negatively affect temps? I do not know as I have never used one. Having a res directly feed the inlet of a pump can be a good thing, however, the same theory still applies that once the water enters the res, it stops.

I also don't believe that reservoirs kill flow. If using a bayres, that thing is usually mounted high in the case. Gravity will help the water out of it. Also, as Sandman001 stated, the water coming in will shove the water out. Besides, if you look into a bayres or criticool, the water is always in motion. If it stops, then it's a good indication that your pump just died.

I use a bong-like creation for a res. I put water in it, it flows into my pump and into my hose and into my computer, all without turning the pump on. At this point, I turn the pump on to get it to go through my two waterblocks, back to the pump case and through the radiator before making it back to the res.

The only way the water coming in will force the water out is if there is no air int he res. If there is, the pressure from the water coming in will take the path of least resistance and just push the water lvl higher up.

Back