• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

personalized botup screens & themes on xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rashio_UK

hi,
i have just got xp pro and i have seen some pics of ppl's pcs with different bootup screens when they ahve just turned on their pc and different themes, now i know xp comes with 3 different themes but these were different and so was the bootup screen.
now i have downloaded some themes and bootup screens but i dont know how to install them :rolleyes: , i read the site from where i got them from but they were really general and i could not follow what they meant :p

so what i am wondering is does any 1 know how to install teh personalized bootup and theme screens or has a link to show me how to?

thank you very much :D

i think that is what it is, just after u have passed the bootup screen u see the xp logo with a loadin bar then after that u enter windows. i want to change the loadin bar bit.
so is there a program that can do it or a how-to guide that could show me?

thank you ;)

For the boot screen mods, bascially you should get a copy of ntoskrnl.exe. You'll want to make sure the version you download is in the EXACT SAME STATE as your current XP config (Home/Pro, SP1/No SP1).

When you get a version that is built from the same version of XP you have, reboot into safemode and go to the C:\Windows\System32\ directory. Rename the ntoskrnl.exe file there to ntoskrnlBACKUP.exe or something. Put the copy of ntoskrnl.exe you downloaded into the directory and reboot. The boot screen should be there :)

If something goes awry, you should be able to restore it by using you XP CD and with the repair console navigating to C:\Windows\System32 and re-renaming the original file.

JigPu

Last edited:
If you are playing around with a modified ntoskrnl.exe file then do this:

Leave your ntoskrnl.exe file alone.
Download or modify a copy of yours and save it under a different name.

Modify your c:\boot.ini file to look like this:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="My Mod Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect /KERNEL=mykernel.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Test it out. If all is well, then remove the line that was there before, leave the one with your kernel specified.

Last edited:
Overclockers.jpg

Like this you mean:)

http://freespace.virgin.net/alasdair.ewen/ is where I keep my boot screen page. You must back up your original ntoskrnl.exe before you put the modded one in though. If you don't know how to revert to the original, don't do it...............

Back