• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T-Fitting Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I know the battle for and against NB blocks has been raging for a bit now...basically, people against NB blocks say that the flow restriction added to your system isn't worth it. I thought that you could possibly use a Y adapter and run them in parallel, but then I realized that that would lower flow to your CPU block as well. So here's a thought...could you run it with a T-Fitting like in my 133t picture?

My idea is that this won't hinder flow restriction to the CPU as much as a Y will. Instead, any flow that is already being restricted will bleed off into the NB block. Would this work at all?

Attachments

• t-fitting.jpg
    t-fitting.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 73
Do you really need that much flow through the NB though?

I figure that the restriction caused by the CPU block will at least push some water through there.

If you are not feeding it enough flow whats the diff btwn little flow and using a heat sink with a queit 40mm??? Is it worth the money? and how much more FSB would u get out of that...

Even with a t-fitting water is getting sucked through the vertical fitting. Its not just flowing freely, the water is being forecefully circulated by the pump so its as same as y-fitting if not worse...

Alright, true enough. Well, thanks for letting me know what would happen. It was more of a theory question than something I was going to put into practice.

The restriction caused by the cpu block will push plenty of water through your 'T' fittings just fine. Also, the larger restriction often found in most northy blocks will assure the greater flow will go to your cpu block, so 'Y' fittings will work fine also.

My problem is with the inner diameter of these fittings being so darned small, so I built mine like so...

Dcp_0707.jpg

Copper tubing has less flow restriction because it's thinner wall means a larger ID is maintained. A larger ID equals better flow.

With my restrictive northbridge block, if I run with the blocks in series, my temps are higher (there are better northy blocks out there though). They both "breath" fine with this arrangement.

(note that my 90 degree bends are swept fittings, to also lower restriction. normal ones have a sharp radius)

Have fun all!

Last edited:
Nice and clean looking setup you have there, Diggrr.

I don't have a NB block running atm, but I did face some tubing issues since I wanted to put my whole setup inside my rather small case. I too use copper bends and am very happy with them. Diggrr mentioned the benefits of having a larger ID with copper tubing, and in line with that idea I went for 15mm ID bends (rest of system = 1/2" ID) so as to minimize restriction. Again, this works very well... recommended!

Alright, thanks. I thought the T-Line might work alright...especially after seeing the results of the Danner Mag 3 vs Eheim comparison, running blocks in parallel is definitely beneficial. One block probably halves your flow rate anyway, so a Y fitting is a good thing.

Back