• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling the Abit NF7-S Mosfet...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tictac

Disabled
hi...i'm newbie here...hope u all can teach me future

erk.... is it posible if i bend up the mosfet so dat the hotside of the mosfet can be cool down with heatsink?

or is it posible to take off the 6 mosfet n place them together uder waterblock?

:D

post-5-1069575706.jpg

post-5-1069575946.jpg

If you place small heatsinks on the top of the mosfets + thermal tape or Arctic epoxy , then place a block on the back of teh board with thermal tape .. !!! Can you figure it out before I have to show ya ?? :eek:

I found that an 80mm fan over my mosfets did a pretty decent job...didn't have to get any more "extreme" than that.

i don't think you can actually pull the mosfet off of the mobo.... usually a heatsink on top or just a fan will suffice.

btw, you need to shorten your sig.

Whoa Horsey !!!

The contact with the motherboard is also the DC path. You'd have to solder some serious copper strap stock from the MOSFET tabs down to where they were originally soldered to handle all the current. Also, you may mess up the impedance, not to mention put a DC potential on the water in your flow from the contact to the block. That could cause electrolysis or who knows what when some of that voltage leaks through the water to your radiator, assuming the radiator comes in electrical contact with the chassis, or any other component in the water loop comes in contact with the chassis for that matter.

Other than that, not a bad idea...

Hoot

Do you get any performance gain by cooling the mofsets? Or is it strictly preventative measures, IE fried BOARD

tictac said:
hi...i'm newbie here...hope u all can teach me future

erk.... is it posible if i bend up the mosfet so dat the hotside of the mosfet can be cool down with heatsink?

or is it posible to take off the 6 mosfet n place them together uder waterblock?

Signature rules linked in my own signature... I think you need to read em ;)

Otherwise an interesting concept... and certainly a true extreme (overkill) case for the forums.

Cheers, Flix

Do you get any performance gain by cooling the mofsets? Or is it strictly preventative measures, IE fried BOARD
Putting a fan blowing over the mosfet area helped stabilize my vcore. It cut the range of fluctuation in half. It also might raise your 5v line a little - it mostly tends to keep all of your voltages a little more stable.

I suggest just cooling the top of the mosfet, desoldering something as big as the mosfet contact is not easy. The best way is a heatsink on the top of the mosfets.
If you do however put the heatsink on the back as you described make sure there is a return DC path and that the waterblock is eletrically insulated from the mosfets.

23.jpg

30.jpg

what i did was cut my stock heatsink into pieces and it was enough for all of my mosfet, nb, sb. I *strongly* recommend you to BUY heatsinks rather than using your huge stock heatsink.(1st..your cpu warranty is gone..2nd..it's pain in teh *** to do this unless you have professional equipment)

I did little change after taking this pic..I changed fan's direction so it can blow airs directly to mosfets rather than pulling hot airs from em. I didn't notice any difference in temperature but oh well..one thing for sure..it did stablized my voltages(according to winbond..) and i raised few more fsb w/o chaning voltage.

Last edited:
Back