• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems with startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoButteR

Registered
when i start up my comp, it says whether i want to use windows 2000 or xp. and it has a countdown ot choose between each other.. i installed Xp, like a long time ago, my comp couldn't handle it, lagged my games. so i installed 2000 again.. then it had this problem....
and when i TRIED to do a clean reformat, it still has this problem.

i need help!

oh yea. i have the windows log in problem, i still have to press enter, when it has adminstrator before i can get into windows..i went into the control panel settings, and the login box is not checked, to having to login when ur computer starts up.. still comes up, anyone know? :]

msconfig

I don't know if Windows 2000 is the same but if you want to get rid of the countdown got to start-run-type msconfig and go under the boot.ini you can reduce the countdown or select check boot path and it should say that Windows XP shouldn't be in your boot path. It will ask if you want to fix, click yes and you shouldn't have this problem anymore.

i tried to find a boot.ini, but i don't have it. is it called something else on win 2k?

the reason why you can't find boot.ini in w2k is it is HIDDEN

you have to go to folder option in control panel and uncheck "hidden system file" thing

boot.ini is there after doing this

or you can change the time by going to my computer property and change it there

Back