• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a small and adjustabel Barton Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

I'm about to install a barton 2800 in one of my smaller mATX boxen, but most good heatsinks don't fit in the setup, and my current cooler only goes to 2400+ before it starts smoking.

So, if I'm to get a heatsink, with an adjustable fan, how "small" do they come? Most of the 1U thingy's I can get go extremely "scream" in my ear...

Size can't go higher than 70x70, otherwise it wont fit in case.

Tips n links needed!

Flix

an sk6+ would fit the bill quite well at minimal vollume. but i highly doubt there are many 60 mm fans that will cool a 2800+ well... the first point to make would be the best possible heat sink. i would suggest either a 1u heatsink of all copper construction or an sk6+. as for a fan, if you have size constraints, you are going to have to put up with moderate noise pollution to keep that 2800 cooled.
if you dont mind your temps going higher than 50, the fan from a barton heatsink *the one that comes with amd chips* would work on an sk6+ quite well. its low noise too.

as for low noise, your scrwed with 60-70 mm packages. the only way I can think to get acceptable cooling in such a small place would be to use a fairly powerful 60 mm.

another thing you might try if there is some space over your cpu is this.
http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/fb123.htm
with yhis you can mount any fan you wish anywhere. this requires a certain amount of vertical space though. there is also the aero heatsinks from coolermaster, but i dont know if those will fit either.

The SK6+ idea lead me to check out the measurements on the SLK700 as well. It is 60x80, and might just do the trick.

But how much power would I need to bring down a Barton 2800?

From what I read, it would produce about 70-75 watts of heat, so the question would be, how many CFM's am I looking for?

Will 20 cfm's do? with the case air around 21 c's?

I'm not looking for ultra-chill effect, but still a reasonable level around 50'c. The currently fitted Palomino does around 52, with a cheapo GlobalWin Tai-Chi.

Thanks for the ideas and tips so far :)

Flix

Palomino is a real heater. I have one and it's hard to cool, Barton should run fine tho.

Volcano should chill it a bit, but at not too nice noise. I heard that that heatpipe coolermaster used to perform nice one OCed Palominos, so it shouldn't be that bad, but I cannot give guarantee.

Eventually... mount 92/120mm fan somewhere, mount heatsink on CPU and link them with some duct - it always works. This way you could even mount bigger heatsink

Back