• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIX vs Thermochill HE120.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

windwind

Registered
Which one performs better? Which one is less restrictive to waterflow?

I know a lot of you are now gonna say "Heatercore for real man".

Please put that opinion aside, I know heatercore is better (I'm using one). I just want to know whether BIX or HE120.1 is better.

i had a 120.1 - no good for a quiet system as slow fans DO NOT work well with thermochill rads. You need those rolls royce engines strapped onto thermochills.

now changed over to BIX2 and a BIM2

I have two Black Ice Extreme Radiators, one of which is in use, and one of which I plan to add to the circuit when I have a chance.

I wouldn't have bought a second one if I wasn't really pleased with my first one ;)

This is a realy wel built rad, performs surprisingly well for its size too. Don't go with the Black Ice Micro - the small fitting will prevent you from moving to 1/2" ID tubing later one, and it is pretty crappy for the price compared to a heatercore or BIX.

I haven't tried the 120.1, but AFAIK it is very similar to the BIX, albeit with less dense fins, and thicker walls on the tubes.

i think you'll find teh fins on teh thermochills are far denser than the BI range

hence why you need industrial strength turbines to push any decent amount of air through them

Maybe I am wrong on the Fin density of the Thermochill - I have never used one and only seen pictures and spec sheets :).

You will be really happy with a BIX - strap two Panaflo or Evercool fans onto it and it should perform nicely for you as well.

As for the 120.2 - it is identical to the 120.1 except that it is twice the length, and fits 4 fans intead of two. Just like the BIX2 is identical to the BIX, just double length, and with four fan mounts.

I have 2 120.2 rads and a BIX 2 and 2 BI Micro. The thermochill rads have less flow restriction than the BIX 2. I have been getting great temps with the 120.2 and the BIX 2. For me the flow restriction was the deciding factor for buying another. I am using 2 evercool 120 mm alum fans and I still getting great temps.

i think its generally accepted here in the uk that the thermochill rads significantly outperfoem the BI

i still have my 120.1 and its a fine piece of kit, very stong and well made... but almost useless in a system thats aiming to be 100% inaudible from 2 foot away.

I have to make a choice today 12/12/03 on which one of these two to buy.

I want my PC to generally be quiet but i do indulge in the occasional xtreme overclock. I do want to be running my stuff overclocked also.

It seems to me from this thread that for quiet/performance then BIX is the choice. If you looking for straight line performance then go for thermo??

Jackal how would u say the thermo works in a push/pull config. Could i have the fans @ 7volts and still get ok temps??

Hope some new info can come into this thread

mongoled

Perhaps you could rig squirrel cage/blower type fans to the Thermochill rads? If they perform better and just need a more powerful fan, a squirrel cage might produce the pressure it needs. Just a thought. :)

Back