• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OS logo mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickster

Ive heard of these OS bootup logo mods on microsoft and i was wondering how do i do them in XP. Plus how wud i do them like an animation like windows has done. pls help thanx

Here's a guide, courtesy of RedDeathDrinker;
To change your boot screen in XP, there are two ways to go about it.

Download a new ntoskrnl.exe with the .bmps already altered (around 1-2Mb), see My web page for the download (Easy Option) This is for XP Pro only.....

Or get Resource Hacker and modify ntoskrnl.exe yourself.

Make a copy of ntoskrnl.exe, and put it somewhere safe (in case you want to/have to revert to the original).

Open Resource Hacker, and then select File>Open and select ntoskrnl.exe. On the left of ResHack, there is a directory tree. Open the first folder, Bitmaps. There will be a list of 18 folders, numbered 1 -18. For XP Pro, you'll be modifying 1, 8 and 10.

Open Folder 1. Right click on the green icon that appears, and select "Replace Resource" Point to the 1.bmp included in the zip file. Do the same for 8 and 10.

Save your changes in ResHack (as ntoskrnl.exe!) and exit.

To change to the modified ntoskrnl.exe, boot up in safe mode (f8), and copy your modified ntoskrnl.exe to the Windows/System32 folder.

Reboot.

stool wat is your webpage? the resource hacker tool allows u to modify the ntoskrnl.exe?

Last edited:
Last edited:
bootXP=resource hacker? resource hacker is easy to use. Its just that i use adobe photoshop and i duno how to get the 16.act pallete to work so that i can see the real image

Back