• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper Hs????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syberspy9

OK i know that the best hs out right now are copper but i whent to go talk to my local comp guy about buyinbg the sp47 or w/e the copper p4 hp one.
he asked why would i really need that one the stock p4c hs is the best so far its alumanim and somthing eles so its light disapates heat and it doesent conduckt electrisity like copper!!!!!!!!!!!

Man i never thought about it sticking a big copper hs might conduckt a curent and zap my cpu!! i know its rare but still u ppl ever think about that man i think some as5 on the stock hs might be my best bet. o ya this local guy worked at microsoft for 10yrs and 10 at intel then worked for nvidia and asus for 5 years he has the experince.

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING I HAVE TO TIEP FAST IM IN SCHOOL:(

my .02:

his work experience spells bias all over it, the Thermalright SP-94 is the best air cooling heatsink you can get, don't worry about conducting electricity killing a cpu (pfft, silly thought)

I weep for all of those companies if he truley worked at any of them. Sounds to me like he is blowing smoke up your rear end. You really think a guy with that resume is working in your local computer shop? :rolleyes:

All copper is the best material for a heatsink. You won't short anything out using a copper heatsink. The stock heatsink will always be perfectly fine for normal(IE: non overclocking) use. The reason to use copper? It cools better. You want better cooling, get a quality copper heatsink.

He could have worked for those companies... and still have no idea about hardware... Maybe he was pr, or marketing, or something like that... Bottom line... He don't know caca!

The copper won't hurt anything unless it is in DIRECT contact with the mobo, or any other part that conducts electricity. The only thing it should be touching is the p4's heat spreader and the retention bracket (or plastic washers if your talking about an SP-94). Neither of which will conduct the electricity that will "fry your computer." :rolleyes:

Don't fear the copper ;)

syberspy@school said:
o ya this local guy worked at microsoft for 10yrs and 10 at intel then worked for nvidia and asus for 5 years he has the experince.

(

So let me get this straight, he's got 30 years experiance in the industry, after 20 or so years of school so he's in his 50's or so, and after 50 years of life he's going to tell you that copper will conduct electricity but aluminum won't?!?! What an idiot.

Re: Re: Copper Hs????????

Fast420A said:

So let me get this straight, he's got 30 years experiance in the industry, after 20 or so years of school so he's in his 50's or so, and after 50 years of life he's going to tell you that copper will conduct electricity but aluminum won't?!?! What an idiot.

Hmmm, is that why our new lightning rod grounding wire
is made from Aluminum? :rolleyes:

<me> Weeps bitterly as I realize how many misconceptions there are about electricity. It's enough to break my (physics teacher) heart.

If you're overclocking, go for the copper. Otherwise, save the $$$ and go with the aluminum.

:cry:

Ken

keep in mind, that the zalman cnps 7000 alcu cools almost as good (i.e. with in 2 degrees c in all test i have run/read) as the zalman cnps 7000 cu.

and aluminium conducts curent (electricity) at about 60% of the rate of copper.
from los alamo chem labs

Although its electrical conductivity is only about 60% that of copper, it is used in electrical transmission lines because of its light weight. Pure aluminum is soft and lacks strength, but it can be alloyed with small amounts of copper, magnesium, silicon, manganese, and other elements to impart a variety of useful properties.

From www.webelements.com

Resistivity (electrical) in ohm centimetres:

1.7 x 10^-8 for copper
3.2 x 10^-8 for aluminium

so aluminium is 0.53 x as conductive as copper

Which is irrelevant as electricity DOES NOT flow through CPU heatsinks (unless something is wrong...)

Now comparing the thermal resistance (don't yell at me for this, it gives a ROUGH IDEA that copper is better at conducting as the standard units are shown) -higher is better:

235W m-1 K-1 for aluminium
400W m-1 K-1 for copper

Copper is the better material for heatsinks, that guy is talking out of his ***.

And another thing, aluminum is used in high voltage overhead powerlines. Acording to the Zalman website there is a difference between the all copper and all Al heatsink:
In normal mode for the all Copper: 0.26 Deg.C/W
for Aluminum 0.34 Deg.C/W

I have heard tha aluminum was better at putting heat into the air..but I dont know about that. All in all, copper is better.

Yeah, Aluminum isnt as dense as say...copper. So an 80mm aluminum heatsink thats the same size as a 80mm copper heatsink will be much lighter and not be able to hold as much thermal load. Think of it sort of like a water cooling system with a resivoir. A smaller res does not mean it cools better. The only time the aluminum cools off faster is when you turn the system off...then the aluminum would cool off a tiny bit faster because it has less mass. Go for the largest copper heatsink you can find, the thermalright heatsinks are really good. Alot of times those people that work in computer stores have absolutly no clue about anything thermal related. I remember someone trying to convince me my sk6+ was junk...hint to moronic sales people, dont insult potential customers...they may know alot more than you do and then you look really stupid. Anyways, it was some thin fin aluminum heatsink http://www.overclockers.com/articles525/ I beleive it was this heatsink yet not with the higher cfm fan, my sk6+ stomps on it :p

ok well this guy has his surtified tickets on his wall and im really good frends with him, im there like every day and for yellow dart:
The copper won't hurt anything unless it is in DIRECT contact with the mobo, or any other part that conducts electricity???
wtf the cpu man its sitting on the cpu that is a elctrical part i would think would u not??
and i just was doing some hw last night and is siad right in the sc book that aluminum was hard to work with because it had a low conductive rate of electrical curent. but they both conduct electricaty and thats why intel's hs in not just alumin its cast out of aluminum and somthing else i forget what though.

think about this intel has been in this bisness way longer than all these other companys and they do improve there hs constanly so its not like they dont care about them (but amd pff they always the same ****ty straight aluminam small crap) but ya intel makes them better so i think they know what there doing whouldnt u?

ok well this guy has his surtified tickets on his wall and im really good frends with him, im there like every day and for yellow dart:
The copper won't hurt anything unless it is in DIRECT contact with the mobo, or any other part that conducts electricity???
wtf the cpu man its sitting on the cpu that is a elctrical part i would think would u not??

L337 M33P said:
Which is irrelevant as electricity DOES NOT flow through CPU heatsinks (unless something is wrong...)

Intel and AMD for that matter do NOT make the best heatsinks. To cut costs they make them out of aluminium as it is a much cheaper material. Quality heatsinks are copper.

syberspy@school said:

The cpu, yes it is an electrical part that recieves voltage from the psu... The p4's ihs? No it's not an electrical part, since there's no electricity coursing through the ihs of a p4.

ok intel and amd use aluminum (and intel uses somthing with the aluminum i forget what though) then why do the vga card come with copper??????

and if there was electricity going through the ihs something is really wrong.... all that thing does is cover the core. you can even take that piece off if you are hardcore.... or just feel like lapping it and putting in some as5 :p

syberspy@school said:
ok intel and amd use aluminum (and intel uses somthing with the aluminum i forget what though) then why do the vga card come with copper??????

what vga cards?.... the new arctic cooling vga cooler isn't copper... and i don't think the zalman heatpipe cooler is either. only the heatpipe iteslf is copper, the dissapating thingys are aluminium. and the hs on my 9600 pro isn't copper.

Back