• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maze4 GPU Block & 9800 AIW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mystic95Z

Registered
Hey guys.

<Rant>

Last Friday received a Maze4 GPU block from FrozenCPU.com and to my supprise it wont fit (and there was no disclaimer on thier site saying it wouldn't fit on a 9800 Pro AIW) because of the RF housing on the card being in the way. So I'm thinking no problem, I'll call up FrozenCPU and exchange it for the smaller PolarFLO which should fit. WRONG. The jerk that I talked to said they normally dont take returns or exchanges, but would do me a favor and exchange it, but would still charge me a 15% restock fee :mad: even on a new uninstalled block. They're now permanently on my do not buy from list.

</Rant>

Now that I have that off my chest. Has anyone modified a Maze4 to fit on a AIW card?

-Tony

sorry, that RF housing is gonna be a problem all the way, you are better off selling/trading the block or taking that 15% loss. They should at least have given you store credit. To be fair, if its their restocking policy, you cant entirely blame them though, a little search in this forum would have saved you .....

Yea.. Id screw the restocking fee and e-bay it or sell it.

Why didnt you look at dangerden.com??
"Compatibility ATI: Most Radeon Series blocks with the two hole mounted fans. Excludes the All-In-Wonders at this time"
It could have saved you lots of headache.

Here is a dimension for Swifty MCW50
Overall dimensions: L2.0" x W2.0" x H1.22" (L50.8 x W50.8 x H31.0 mm) see if this can fit

Why ask why?? I was shopping on FrozenCPU's site and it said it was compatible with 9800 series cards. I have a 9800 series card last time I looked. There should have been a disclaimer stating that it wouldn't work with a AIW.

In any case since I already have it I'll probably pul it apart to see where the water jackets lie to see if I can hack off part of the corner to make it fit.

-Tony

HEH, bump for talking to you the other day at autozone man:D... One thing i was gonna tell you is that i would just use the "Zerex Super Protatant" that we sell for like 3bucks, it's not colored and wont stain anything like the colored ones do. and it's just like watter wetter.. And if your in the market for Cheap clearlex 60 i found a distributor in Louisville that sell it for .30c a foot.

edit: but they have to order it:rolleyes:

I agree the reseller should have at least stated that the GPU block would not fit on a 9800 A-I-W. U are probably not the first and wont be the last unless they fix this issue. U should not have to do prior research before u buy anything. Customer is ALWAYS right. They mislead u and they should be held responsible.

I have a Swiftech GPU block mounted on my AIW9800 Pro. It's a tight fit, but it works perfectly.

I'll have pics of my complete system posted in a new thread in the next few weeks. Still hafta cut a window in my side panel of my case so I can show it off.

-MoreGooder

no, it *does* fit, you just need to cut off the other protruding geforceFX mount AND file the thing flat, should be a real close fit after that (depends on the filing)

i'll try and get a pic to show you what need to be done and what it should end up like, but otherwise if you know what i'm talking about and dun mind the warrenty which will not be needed anyways, then just go for it

Go with the Swifech MWC50 GPU block for your AIW. That's what I have on mine and it's fantastic. It fits without any mods to your board's components or the water block. There's even a tiny bit of clearance between the tuner housing and the water block.

Check out my other thread for a pic of this, albeit not upclose and personal with the vid card.

http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=253468

MoreGooder

Back