• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first WB design

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bensa

I've been thinking of making a block or two for a while, since all the parts I'll need cost a lot here, so I though I'd save a little by making my own blocks. I have all the tools I need to make this at school.

cpu-block.gif

Thats my first design done in CAD, and the little square in the middle is actualy a couple of little columsn used to create turbulence, but is more clearly represented in the two pictures below it.
The square is copper, and the circles are where the copper has been drilled out. Now, I need to know which one, 1 or 2, would be better for turbulence.

This wb will most likely require a strong pump if I don't decide to take out the side channels, their mostly for taking water away from the exact top of the cpu as fast as possible. The two squares at the ends are the outlets, and offcourse, all the corners which are at this point sharp in the design, will be rounded off for better flow.

All comments will be appreciated.

Those 2 ones on the bottom are the two little squares in the first picture. It will start as a square and then he will drill holes like the ones below, he is asking which would be better for turbulance.

I don't know, just making it clear to him ^ :p

Looks like you just went a little nuts combining different designs. You will find that you dont need 1/8 of whats in there, only go about 1/16" or 2mm past the die if your using a thin base, and about 1/8 maximum past the die. Just put what you can in that area without going too nuts. and I dont get those inlets? why not just use the single hole from the barb? that is unless your going for inpingment, you might want to revize them a little.

Jon

Yeah, I went a little nuts, I finally got to use CAD for something that I like.
The inlet is directly above the die to have the cool water hit it as fast as possible, then spread out and be turbulent because of the X or 8 small columns in the middle. This part of course would be drilled down to maybe 3-5mm height so the water can enter easily.
I was also going for some aesthetic value, and I could easily fit LEDs in those large fins.

So, I should have just the water hitting above the die, and then exiting without going through any fins? Just two wide channels that will lead directly to the outputs?

Farther area won't give performance. Heat will not be transferred there unless base is thick. If base is thick, there's no use in operating just above core.

Hmm, though so. Ill take of all the fancy fins ans such, also will make it a lot simpler to drill.

Why dont you update the design with what you want, draw it up in cad and post it.

Jon

Heres a revised version. The square in the middle is where the columns will be, and is just slightly larger than the P4 heatspreader.

cpu-block2.gif

I placed the outlets as far away, so I can see the water. I like having an aestheticly pleasing computer. :D

Oh yeah, I'm going for a base of 3mm or less.

well, cause nobody else has given a preference for which of your drill designs they think will create more turbulence, i will. if those circles are areas to be removed from the square, i favor design 2, because design 1 has no metal removed right over the center, where it seems you want the most thinness. i've never designed a waterblock or anything before, so i dont know how horroibly wrong i could be. but i'm just venturing a guess here. good luck

Yeah, I was favoring 2 aswell, since it can hit right over the core as near as possible. I think 4 columns would be enough to create a significant amount of turbulence.

Back