• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non-Mechanical Air blower?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

berserker

Registered
Does anyone know anything (would love a link) about Non-Mechanical air blowers. I don't know something that uses ionized air and electrolysisto move air in large volumes without any moving parts, something. I’m wondering if someone is working on a silent air blower of such design.

Welcome to the forums.This is a interesting subject..If you were
to do a google seach on Non-Mechanical Air Blowers At:
www.google.com ,there are dozens of articals on the subject.
To numerous to know which one you'de want.:D
THE FANMAN:cool:

Yaaaaa I tried that already I can't find anything about one for cooling computer components.

I have another forum working on this problem as well but there most likely less help tehn you guys ;)
showthread.php

Last edited:
I like the liquid immersion would be very quite but might need a pump though. Also why can't they just do it in mineral oil or motor oil both should be di-electric.

Last edited:
mineral oil conducts heat very poorly compared to the enginered fluids. would submerging a mobo in motor oil fry it? if it doesnt, then you could even use the "max life" to keep your computer running like new.

I found what I was looking for its called a “Ion Wind Generator” (go to link provided above) but would require very high voltages (low amps though) and would most likely be very large… but SILENT.

wouldnt hydralic fluid be alot better
or even brake fluid?
also alot easyer to cleanup

I wouldn't use brake fluid. Its good for stripping paint off of plastic models but any modeler who has left a model in the fluid too long knows its not good for plastic. Someone posted here that they used food grade vegetable oil with decent results.

SF101 said:
wouldnt hydralic fluid be alot better
or even brake fluid?
also alot easyer to cleanup

Brake and hydraulic fluid are caustic to a lot of materials. Incluing some of those used to manufacture PCB's. I don't know if anyone's tried motor oil yet. But, I don't think it's thermal transfer would be all that great, as it's not really engineered to transfer heat.

As far as I know, there's no fan/blower without mechanical parts.

There are electro-magnetic particle accelerators, but that's probably not what you want :)

You could try using vibrating membrane which lets air through in only one direction.

CrystalMethod said:

Brake and hydraulic fluid are caustic to a lot of materials. Incluing some of those used to manufacture PCB's. I don't know if anyone's tried motor oil yet. But, I don't think it's thermal transfer would be all that great, as it's not really engineered to transfer heat.
it is somewhat. it's used to cool the bottoms of pistons on diesel engines...

i wonder what the guys at jiffylube would say if i brought in a aquarium mounter computed and said to fill it up...

but seriously, if that would work it would be very cheap to do. really though, i would go for a synthetic for longevity and a lower freeze point (more room for sub ambient cooling if i ever go there). i think i might just have to try this on an old 486 i got lying around to see if it doesnt hose it.

Back