• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-800 and water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
I did myself a little search and didn't come up with anything, so I figured I'd just ask. The SLK-800/900 is one of the very best air cooling units available. Copper is a great substance to conduct heat away from the processor. My thoughts are that perhaps enclosing an SLK-800 and then shooting water through it might prove to be an effective sollution. Honestly, I have no idea if it would work, I'm just thinking out loud, but it just came to me and I figured I'd ask. the only things I can think of that aren't so good are these:

1) the fins are so close together that the water might be rather restricted
2) It would be a very large unit and there would be a lot of water in it at one time and it might be hard to control flow and head loss.

Am I really crazy?

Keep in mind I know nothing about water cooling (in that I don't know anything about the physics of it. I know how it works . . . I've just seen some really out there threads that I did NOT understand)

Z

The fins are probably too tall and the base too thick. I'm thinking optimized for air rather than water?

yeah definately, the fins are way too tall and base is somewhat alright. You wont see any cooling coming off of the fins. Its just not designed nearly well enough for it, you need a flat base heatsink, preferable pin style.

Jon

Back