• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

swiftech mcx159 as gpu cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pvc_and_frost

Has anyone perhaps tried using the mcx159 chipset cooler on their video card? seems like it would work preety darn good. Especially with a bigger fan.

Couple problems, it'd be hard to get proper mounting pressure, it also isn't a very big baseplate, so it won't spread out the heat very well.

ya but isnt the copper base almost a half inch thick? i would think if u could get it mounted and keep the card from bending over in the slot it would be an awesome cooler

Hm, interesting idea... Only thing that might be a downside is that it's 2.5" high which would take up alot of slots for such a small cooler, but then again slots don't matter to everyone. For the price I'd say just get one of the alpha 1U heatsinks. Id say they are less than 1" high and pack a 60mm fan. I got one on my radeon, modding only required drilling 2 holes and pushing the pins through it, cools like a dream.

What size do you mean? There are alot of dimensions. Typically both gpu and nb coolers are small, but gpu coolers are usually restricted in the height demension so they do not block pci slots, nb coolers do not have this limitation. Lately gpu coolers have been getting longer and wider instead of taller, but nb coolers like the swiftech have been getting taller.

Back